Firmware Updates?

Jfirth8187

Is there any news out there about firmware updates? I know it's not that long since the last one, but I was at least expecting Sky Player by now? They do like to dangle a carrot in front of you and then take it away.
Also various other bugs in the system like when I skip in a recording it doesn't tell me on screen anymore how far I am through the recording with the "Pause progress bar", media doesn't remember my sort options every time I go in and so on. And finally DLNA!!!! No inscentive for me to buy another Humax box if they never release this?

I do moan but I really love this box I wish they would keep us informed a little bit more rather than us having to trawl the internet for answers???

Jonno

Mmm, sounds good. Have you used the dlna then on the early betas. I though the recording would have been encrypted like they are now so only good with humax boxes?
Or will it decrypt on the fly like when we transfer onto an external USB?

Jonno

I'm going on what Bob_Cat said in this thread.

He did say: "...finding other devices which support DLNA *with* DTCP-IP has been difficult". On the other hand, framedtoo on this forum stated that: "that narrows it down to PC's with xp sp2 or above". I would have thought that would cover the majority of PCs in domestic use, and if it's been around since XP SP2 then I'd have thought that a fair few appliances (ie TVs, Blu-Ray players etc) would also have it. It's not clear to me why Humax seemed to have trouble finding suitable DLNA clients.

Bottom line is that I am fairly optimistic about the DLNA server functionality if they ever manage to release it.

I'm trying to think of a useful reason for the T2 being a DLNA server. The only thing I can think of is if you have a tv in another room which means either the tv or an attached player being compatible. Not much point in sending it to a PC with a small screen when the Humax is connected to the tv.

I'm trying to think of a useful reason for the T2 being a DLNA server. The only thing I can think of is if you have a tv in another room which means either the tv or an attached player being compatible. Not much point in sending it to a PC with a small screen when the Humax is connected to the tv.

sometimes i watch catchup on the pc (when misses is watching the thousands of things she's recorded), it would be nice to watch some of my recorded programmes even if it is on the pc ( i just need to sit nearer the screen)

I am fairly optimistic about the DLNA server functionality if they ever manage to release it.
I'd add a caveat to that: how well it works will depend also on the particular DLNA client. For example, I know that my Sony TV's DNLA client can't play .ts files streamed from my Mac, but can play the same programmes if I convert them to .mpg files. I therefore expect that, if the Humax serves "raw" .ts files (like it writes to USB devices) then my Sony TV probably won't be able to play them. Conversely, I know that VLC on the Mac can play .ts files downloaded to a USB stick from the Humax, so I'd expect it to be able to play the same files served via DLNA. For the same reason, I'd expect either a HDR- or an HD-Fox T2 to be able to play a .ts file streamed from an HDR using DLNA.

For the DLNA client I would like to use a Fox T2 in my bedroom. It just makes sense for me. Otherwise I've got to record two seperate instances of a program if I choose to watch in another room, start the export process as we do know, to unencrypt onto a usb stick and then plug into my other room. I know we have on demand things like BBC iPlayer and the rest but DLNA would be fantastic.
I think I'm going to explore the usb stick export as a start off as I'm a fan of Humax boxes now so I'm going to order a Fox T2 for my bedroom to replace my Acer Aspire Revo PC.

As an addition I have started to explore FTP servers mapped as Drives on PC's but i'm not getting too far. If anybody has tried this I would be interested. Concept is the software makes your FTP appear as a mapped drive, then when you go to play a file it will cache it in your temp files and then play. Principle is good but so far I've found the software ridiculously expensive!!

Jonno

any news on firmware updates then?? its been ages since the last one and i'd have thought there were enough tweaks needed to justify one before the biggie of player updates occurs?

personally i've only got two gripes

i wish the favourites list would stay put, it seems to reset to tv every time i watch something from external hdd or network, should be able to set it up once and it stays told!!

other thing, not sure if anyones noticed similar, but on series record if its asked me to select alternative broadcast and thats been on one of the +1 channels it doesnt seem to recognise future programmes, ie after recording it will appear at the bottom the list as an expired recording and i'd need to reinput it to get rest of series? not sure if this is a freeview bug or humax tho

aside from that i remain extremely pleased with this unit, but i just wish i knew what all the developers were on about in other threads!!

I have a Digital Stream media player box I would like to connect to the bedroom TV and stream content across a network from the Hummy downstairs.

However, I note in the Customised HDF file released thread that the Hummy runs out of steam when running a DNLA server and recording at the same time. This might explain why we don't have it officially yet.

...I note in the Customised HDF file released thread that the Hummy runs out of steam when running a DNLA server and recording at the same time...

I've seen one user post that something strange happened once, but I haven't personally seen any problems, and I've stress tested the box by simultaneously recording two things while playing a third, streaming a fourth and downloading a 300MB torrent in the background. The fans went up to full but everything worked.

Humax will have sized the box (and in particular the memory) for their application so there isn't much headroom to run additional software, but I don't think there's much evidence that it runs out of steam. It would be interesting to hear from other people who stream regularly.

Sandholme said:
I'm trying to think of a useful reason for the T2 being a DLNA server.

I stream recorded programmes to my TV upstairs, which has a built-in DLNA client.

I've seen one user post that something strange happened once, but I haven't personally seen any problems, and I've stress tested the box by simultaneously recording two things while playing a third, streaming a fourth and downloading a 300MB torrent in the background. The fans went up to full but everything worked.

That's good to know, thanks. I don't have spare capacity to chase fools-errands, so knowing there's a good chance of success is a prerequisite.

As for when a new official update is going to happen Humax report its going to be 'in the next couple of weeks' - however they have been saying that for almost the last year now! - However I do note that Humax are advertising for a new Tech marketing Manager to liase between UK comercial customers and the tech team in Korea! - So if anybody wants a job, and hence find out whats actually going on then there seems to be an opening!

excellent news, that could be as early as next week then?? i wonder what will be contained therein??
teh closed beta included dlna srvr and portal had skyplayer youtube and a better wikipedia. don't no if all those are going 2 be in the next oficial release

teh closed beta included dlna srvr and portal had skyplayer youtube and a better wikipedia. don't no if all those are going 2 be in the next oficial release
Did it fix the HDMI problems and the HD/SD audio problems? Or are you referring to the old closed beta from a while ago?

Back