Fix-Disk for USB Drives

Starbase

Hi

One of my USB attached drives has developed a problem, when the Humax tries to read it, it seems to lock up the box, obviously there is some corruption somewhere in the file system.

Is there any Fix-Disk type utility that can be run on it from the Humax or from a PC to fix it?

It should be possible to Telnet in and run the tools manually on your USB drive, but you will have to be dead sure you have identified the USB drive rather than the internal HDD! You will also need someone other than me to tell you what the commands are...

In all probability, it's going to be "umount /dev/sdb1" followed by "e2fsck -f -y /dev/sdb1". You can check which disks/partitions are mounted by using "mount".

Is there any Fix-Disk type utility that can be run on it from the Humax or from a PC to fix it?

If you attach the USB drive to a PC, then set the PC to run CheckDisk, then restart, both the PC's drive and the attached drive will be checked and repaired if necs. (Beware though, this can take hours and hours - so do it overnight or some other time when you don't want to use your PC!)

(To set CheckDisk to run on Windows, it is something like go to 'My Computer', right click on PC's drive (Local/C), choose Properties, choose 'Tools' tab, choose 'Error-checking', choose 'Check Now'. It won't be able to check now because the system is running so will run next time you reboot)

Back