Fix Disk help please

I have RMA'd, reformatted, reinstalled WebIf and run fixdisk twice and am having the same problems. I am up to Inode 14302819 (not sure what the total may be).
Did you reformat using the method that prpr suggested (see the link to the af123 blog post)?

No I used the Humax one. prpr's link (and the af123 blog post) seem to refer to 'large' disks (ie, 2tb). The procedure looks rather complicated to me ("To achieve this, I used the GNU Fdisk (gfdisk) utility which is built into Custom Firmware 2.12 and above. The u command changes the input units from cylinders to sectors. I then just ensured that the start sector of each partition was divisible by 8."). The 'divisible by 8' bit is a concern unless gfdisk does this automatically.
Is it actually straight forward and, if so, would you recommend I do it ?

If you want to use "large disk" formatting, there is a tool on the Telnet menu to do it all for you. Note that you must never run stock firmware with a GPT formatted disk.

No I used the Humax one. prpr's link (and the af123 blog post) seem to refer to 'large' disks (ie, 2tb). The procedure looks rather complicated to me
Oh dear. I just meant pick out the format commands as detailed on there. You don't need to do any of the other stuff - the Humax software will have already partitioned the disk.
Just go into Maintenance Mode, get to a command line prompt and do this:
Code:
humax# mkfs.ext3 -m 0 -O sparse_super /dev/sda1
humax# mkfs.ext3 -m 0 -O sparse_super -T largefile /dev/sda2
humax# mkfs.ext3 -m 0 -O sparse_super /dev/sda3
Make sure you do NOT have any USB devices connected when you do this.

Then exit and restart.

...y I decided to run a fixdisk -l. It was running for over four hours and I stopped it. .
In my experience I've never had a fixdisk run for less than two hours, but I too have bottled it and stopped after "too long",
however running another fixdisk after that abort usually works out better, and completes ... maybe three hours but I find a gap where there's nowt on telly.
Saturday usually.
(I run fixdisk maybe once every three months, purple WD 1TB)

Thank you again for all your help - running the format commands suggested by prpr has done the trick. Fixdisk is now clear of my previously encountered problems :)

Sorry Martin but I left it unattended for the fixdisk -l. At a guess would say a couple of hours. Fixdisk without a switch took about 40 minutes I think. Unfortunately I have deleted the logs.

Back