Fixdisk caused HDR-FOX T2 to want to reformat the drive

Thanks. It looks similar:
View attachment 5950
That is the correct selection . Although I don't know why you have trouble after choosing the default option.
To be perfectly blunt, if you can't get the thing running on either your laptop or desktop pc, I'll be a little concerned of you using using that Live Linux environment - in case you obliterate the wrong drive(s)!

The thing about the default option is that I do not know what to do after it boots; it does not look like a standard *nix terminal. I thought findroot would be easier, similar to connecting to the Hummy using telnet, it just cannot see the commands.

Last edited:
The thing about the default option is that I do not know what to do after it boots; it does not look like a standard 8nix terminal. I thought findroot would be easier, similar to connecting to the Hummy using telnet, it just cannot see the commands.
I have no idea what findroot is. My search results mention mathematical equations or possibly Grub? But I don't see how either will help you explore, repair or initialise a Humax hard drive attached to your desktop PC as an extra drive (assuming that is what you wish to do).
Eg What do you get after you select the default option? Is it not similar to the screenshots - https://www.system-rescue.org/Screenshots/
I also have no idea what you're trying to achieve so maybe someone else can help.

Sorry, findroot is the "Boot a Linux operating system installed on the disk (findroot)" option on my screenshot above.

The default option looks like the screenshots but gparted fails to start because it cannot find the display.

What I am trying to do is run e2fsck -f -c -c -k -y on the disk in question as per suggestion.

Sorry, findroot is the "Boot a Linux operating system installed on the disk (findroot)" option on my screenshot above.

The default option looks like the screenshots but gparted fails to start because it cannot find the display.

What I am trying to do is run e2fsck -f -c -c -k -y on the disk in question as per suggestion.
So, if we look at https://www.system-rescue.org/Screenshots/, how does that compare to the screen that you are on?
Are you stuck on the 1st blue screen, the 2nd black screen or the 3rd desktop screen (but eg without the foreground windows)?
Or maybe you can show us a screenshot of what you see or the actual screen(s) are stuck on?
If you're stuck on a screen similar to the 2nd one - then you're in a Linux CLI environment already (but maybe haven't determined the drive designations).
Sorry, findroot is the "Boot a Linux operating system installed on the disk (findroot)" option on my screenshot above...
I just realised, does your desktop PC have a Linux system installed in it? If not then it won't find it.
USE THE FIRST/DEFAULT OPTION
Boot SystemRescue using default options

Although I suspect we may get into a pickle very shortly and repeat - you should be careful to not corrupt the main drive on your desktop pc.

Last edited:
findroot is the "Boot a Linux operating system installed on the disk (findroot)" option on my screenshot above.
You certainly don't want that on a Humax disk as there isn't an operating system on it, and even if there were, it would be for the wrong processor so wouldn't work anyway (the Humax gear doesn't use x86 processors). Just use the top option.

So, if we look at https://www.system-rescue.org/Screenshots/, how does that compare to the screen that you are on?
Are you stuck on the 1st blue screen, the 2nd black screen or the 3rd desktop screen (but eg without the foreground windows)?
Or maybe you can show us a screenshot of what you see or the actual screen(s) are stuck on?
If you're stuck on a screen similar to the 2nd one - then you're in a Linux CLI environment already (but maybe haven't determined the drive designations).
I got into the second screen, typed "gparted" and got an error message that it cannot connect to the display.

Hmmm, OK, need to type startx.

What are you actually trying to do or fix? It's much easier just to use the command line.
lsblk and e2fsck to fix the filesystems.
If you really need to piss about with partition tables, then use fdisk.

That is the correct selection
Personally, I would have chosen the second option on that Grub menu (unless one is hampered by lack of RAM).

I think many inexperienced users would find it unsettling to get booted to a command line prompt rather than a familiar graphical environment, even when they are then instructed to bring up a terminal and use CLI utilities! That YouTube video shows starting the GUI as a boot menu option (or a hint to run "startx" from the command prompt pos-boot) which is not present in the menu shown in Post 41.

I acknowledge the text environment makes the lowest demands on a potentially wonky system one might be trying to rescue, but that is not the case in this situation. It's not the system that's wonky, it's the HDD. Therefore, it might be better advice to use GParted Live.

Personally speaking, I am not sure a GUI is as easy to instruct people to use. When I eventually end up doing the job, I hope to create a concrete cheat-sheet; describing this for GUI requires screenshots etc by someone who know what they are doing (so count me out :)). But for the CL commands, it should be pretty easy.

Ok, I got it now, using the default option. Running e2fsck on the large partition.
I'm curious. Any chance of an update on this please?
Eg roughly how long did it take to run? Were you trying to recover your TV recordings from 1TB drive? If so how successful was it?

There seems to be some confusion here. What does "USB dongle" mean - adapter? If you didn't have an adapter, how did you run e2fsck?

It is great that there is so much interest. It is a shame I may not be worthy.

So, I had a powered USB adapter. The problem with it is that it knocks down my network for some reason, and it did so when I started e2fsck (more on that later). I blamed it on its flimsy construction and ordered a new one which, serendipitously, arrived 3 minutes after my earlier message. :) So, after relocating the desktop (for reasons I will explain in a mo), I plugged the disk in using the new adapter, and it knocked out my network too. The only other thing I can think of is open the desktop and plug the disk in one of the bays; I just don't have the energy just now.

As for the previous run, I aborted it. I had started it in the afternoon and it projected that a non-destructive, read test (all that from memory) would take 10 hours (well, it didn't, but I let it run for an hour, saw the reported percentage done and did a multiplication). As the desktop lives in an occupied bedroom (and given the adapter had killed my network) I just aborted and you know the rest.

Given the pain it has been to move it, connect it to my screen, swap cables, I may give it another go maybe on Sunday. I will keep you posted.

Two of them did, and it drops the Comtrends too, if nothing else I am thorough. :) Not obvious how to solve this and I don’t want to stray from the scope for this thread. I will try to fit it in the bays.

The box has two disks already in it and a DVD drive. I connected the Hummy HDD (SATA) using the DVD drive's data cable and powered it through an available power connector. The BIOS sees all three HDDs when I enter the booting process but the system now fails to boot from the System Rescue disk (it loops back to the BIOS or hangs). Should I (re)move the jumper from the Hummy drive, or remove the DVD drive power connector, is any of that relevant?

Back