Fixdisk on a mac

catnap

I haven't run fixdisk for over 2 years. Sloppy I know. I'm not aware of any problems - but of course that is the problem in a way. Anyway, I'm now on macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and I find Telnet has gone and I can't yet discover a way of getting it back. Has anyone in a similar position been able to run fixdisk and if so, how?

Idiotic software companies who remove support for things that they perceive are no longer useful really annoy me. How is anyone supposed to talk to a Telnet server without a client? Just because they deem it insecure doesn't mean it doesn't have a use for somebody at some time.

Anyway, I know almost nothing about Macs but here is something I found, which appears to be effectively the same thing as EP posted:
https://www.iclarified.com/79376/how-to-install-telnet-on-your-mac

Or you could just use nc (I assume it exists on a Mac?):
nc a.b.c.d 23 where a.b.c.d is the IP address of your HDR. It's clunky but works for simple stuff.

You can also use the webshell interface on the Diag page, This is also available in Maint mode for running fixdisk etc
If you reboot to maint mode from the diag menu it provides a webshell link for you.

Thanks. The Diag webshell interface proved really straightforward and fixdisk is running now. I now see the proess is also decribed in BH's "Steps for Repairing a Disk of Unknown Faults". I will also follow up on the Homebrew suggestions. I used it once to reinstall of iTunes when Apple removed that in Catalina and forced the awful, for me, Apple Music on users.

Not being steeped in all things "i", I found the lock-in of iTunes also awful (and was my main reason for buying an Android phone instead of iOS).

Back