Resolved [Fixed] Alert Emails Missing

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
The forum has stopped sending me alert emails for when I receive PMs or there is new content in watched topics. No sign of them, not even in my spam folder.

Is there something wrong at the forum end, or have the ISPs unilaterally decided forum-originated emails are persona non grata and are filtering them out in transit?

Me three, not that I miss them that much anyway (I was in two minds about turning them off altogether, but didn't).
Bound to be a problem at source.
The thought that forum-originated emails (whatever that actually means) can be unilaterally discarded by ISPs is ridiculous.

Not at all. The ISPs actively share information about what they consider a potential threat and block it. If enough people mark the incoming as "spam", the source gets black-listed and shared around.

I had a situation where I couldn't use the word "funeral" in a message subject because any replies to it never got through (although in that case it was unilateral action by my email service). I think this may have been triggered by phishing funeral-chasing emails (although I don't remember receiving or reporting any).

I haven't seen any recently.

There may also be problems with RS failed recording emails - I got one recently as the first notification of recordings that had failed to track over a week earlier

Is anybody trying to do anything about this?

Michael

(except he won't receive an email alerting him to this poke!)

Last edited:
It also appears that subscription emails are also broken: 3 people subscribed on July 3rd; prior to that there was typically one or two most days; since then there has been a single subscription on 12th July. Somebody over at MyHumax.org is complaining that subscription emails are not working.

I just realised I probably had Michael's email address knocking around, so I've dug it out and emailed him directly.

What's that place got to do with this place?
Apologies for the lack of clarity; he is complaining on MyHumax,org that an attempt to subscribe to hummy.tv (because I suggested his question on MyHumax would attract an answer here) is failing.

It also appears that subscription emails are also broken: 3 people subscribed on July 3rd; prior to that there was typically one or two most days; since then there has been a single subscription on 12th July. Somebody over at MyHumax.org is complaining that subscription emails are not working.
Yes, there does seem to be a problem with registration, there are a number of registered members waiting for confirmation emails. I have validated the registration of the user from MyHumax.org, and will attend to the others this evening, if Michael hasn't fixed it by then.

Apologies guys, I've had a very busy few months! This should now be resolved, hopefully with an email notification from this thread. :laugh:

Thanks Michael , I have just received an email notification. Will this have also fixed the new member registration emails?

Yes sorry, a server move a few weeks ago disrupted email - I had forgotten that the email server details had changed during the move. All should be working again now.

Back