[flatten] Automatically Removing Programmes from Series Folders

OK thanks, I will wait and see if it happens. I'm not used to having things in folders.:)

It will happen - might take a reboot.

Posted on the move; please excuse any brevity.

This sounds interesting. I too dislike having my recordings in a folder and would prefer a big list.

Will investigate when I get home. This custom firmware is amazing; every time I think to myself "it would be cool if you could do this" there's a way of doing it!

There's 18 months history of people saying "wouldn't it be nice if", mainly based on what they missed from Topfield TAPs. flatten is an early add-on, soon to be accompanied by a classifier package for people who want the opposite.

Following my rs problems, I'm hoping to get some help with flatten!

I've installed the package via the webif interface (now twice, removed after first attempt didn't seen to change folders, other than showing the exclude from flatten option if I click opt+ in the webif media viewer). So as best I can tell the package has installed (as the menu option appears in opt+ through webif) but hasn't changed/removed any of my folders.

I ran the fix-flash-packages diagnostic which updated a couple of packages but didn't mention flatten - see log below:
>>> Beginning diagnostic fix-flash-packages
Running: fix-flash-packages
Re-installing tmenu
Removing package tmenu from root...
Installing tmenu (1.05) to root...
Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/tmenu_1.05_mipsel.opk.
Configuring tmenu.
Re-installing rsvsync
Removing package rsvsync from root...
Installing rsvsync (1.0.3) to root...
Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/rsvsync_1.0.3_mipsel.opk.
Configuring rsvsync.

>>> Ending diagnostic fix-flash-packages

I've tried rebooting the Humax / leaving it in standby for several hours in case it waited for inactivity to process, but nothing seems to be happening. Am I doing something wrong? In case it's relevant the Humax came from Humax Direct around 3 weeks ago, is a refurb but normal functions seem to work perfectly (no disk noise / fan noise / lip sync / missed recordings etc etc etc).

I thought it would effectively remove all my recordings from their series folders (except those I mark as exempt from flattening) and just put into one long list, or have I misunderstood?

Good point, sorry - it's difficult to describe as there doesn't seem to be anything happening.

The flatten package was installed yesterday morning (v 0.0.5-2) and appears to be working to some extent, as when I browse my media through the webif interface, I have the option to exclude a given folder from flatten through the right click menu on any folder. So for the experiment I've exempted 2 of the 11 folders - see screenshot here: http://bit.ly/11alkjg

I then expected flatten to remove the parent folder for each series, and file it's contents in one large list which I could sort by name or date. However nothing has happened, despite leaving the box powered on, rebooting a few times and leaving in standby for a few hours. Existing series links have continued to put new recordings in the (non excluded) folders, and the folder structure hasn't changed.

I wondered if I should use a command or instruction to start the process - but can't find anything. I ran the fix-flash-packages diagnostic (see post 127), then scanned the forum for similar questions, couldn't find any - then ran out of ideas and posted here hoping it was a simple noobie problem!

Is there a log file or something I could pull that would help the guru's understand the problem or anything quirky with my machine (note I did have an odd experience with rs v 1.0.1 seeming to be incompatible with rs.hummypkg.org.uk but you guys helped me resolve that one)

It should "just work".

In the WebIF, check the Package Management.. Installed list to check it really is there, then in Diagnostics look down the list of log files for "flatten.log". Open it and paste up whatever it says (between [code]...[/code] tags).

Interesting - I can see several log files listed on the Diagnostics page, but flatten isn't one of them (I assume this is the box just to the right at the top). I can see logs for:
banner.log (13.00 bytes)
epgd.log (1.02 KiB)
modinit.log (5.51 KiB)
rag.log (2.41 KiB)
rsvsync.log (209.00 bytes)
xinit.log (0.00 bytes)
I then got a bit maverick and saw the force reinstall option, so used that entering flatten (free text) in the empty package box. This seemed to do something, log below:
>>> opkg install --force-reinstall flatten
Removing package flatten from root...
Installing flatten (0.0.5-2) to root...
Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/flatten_0.0.5-2_mipsel.opk.
Configuring flatten.
But there's no immediate change to the Media folders?

Thanks again for your continued help & advice - I'll put a donation in the rs webpage link

If you run the flatten diagnostic from the web interface, you should get some output on the screen that will show what it is doing. Hopefully that will tell us what is going wrong.

Thanks AF. I don't remember seeing a specific diagnostic for flatten, but will post again as soon as I get to look at it again tonight
Cheers
Jim

It won't be in the drop-down list but you can type it into the input box before clicking on the Run Diagnostic button.

Great - the flatten diagnostic ran and the output looks like it's done the trck:

>>> Beginning diagnostic flatten
Running: flatten
[/media/My Video/Britain's Got Talent]
[/media/My Video/Coronation Street]
[/media/My Video/The Voice UK]
/media/My Video/The Voice UK/The Voice UK_20130504_2005
The Voice UK
Moving recording.
[/media/My Video/The Fall]
[/media/My Video/Mary Queen of the High Street]
[/media/My Video/Vicious]
/media/My Video/Vicious/Vicious_20130502_2248
Vicious
Moving recording.
/media/My Video/Vicious/Vicious_20130516_2239
Vicious
Moving recording.
/media/My Video/Vicious/Vicious_20130506_2100
Vicious
Moving recording.
/media/My Video/Vicious/Vicious_20130509_2238
Vicious
Moving recording.
[/media/My Video/The Politician's Husband]
[/media/My Video/The Job Lot]
[/media/My Video/CSI Crime Scene Investigation]

>>> Ending diagnostic flatten

The media recordings from the folders I didn't exclude now appear in a single list, and the excluded folders are still there! I don't think there was anything in the other folders, so it looks like it's now working perfectly - thank you.
I wonder if flatten just needed a little kick to start running and is now fine, or if I'll need to run the diagnostic each time it starts recording a new series and creating folders?

It looks like the problem must be with the automatic running as the process works manually.I can't remember how it works but I'll have a look when j get home and will post some more things to try.

Posted on the move; please excuse any brevity.

What the diagnostic did was force flatten to run, which proved it exists. It is supposed to run automatically when a recording completes, so there may be some more work to do to find out why it isn't.

(Great minds and all that... posts crossed)

Back