forgotten webif password

You need to gain access via telnet and type: 'diag removepw' without the quotes when you get to the humax# prompt.

Install the telnet client following these instructions:

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1793/vista_install_telnet_client/

then do Start and Run and type
'telnet x.x.x.x' into the box, where x.x.x.x is the IP address of your Humax box.

Press return and you should get a humax# prompt.
Then just type diag removepw and try the web interface again.

If you have problems installing the telnet client, then you can use a utility called PuTTY as an alternative but try the native client first.

Hello there. I've forgotten my webif password on a Mac running Lion. Can you give me step by step instructions on how to get it back or to access the Humax box by Telnet? Many thanks

I suggest you google how to access a Telnet session using a Mac.

Having done that, you need to open a session to the Humax IP address (probably "o <ip_address>") and you should get the "Humax#" command prompt.

Then you can use the "diag removepw" command mentioned above. Close the Telnet session using "exit" or just kill the Telnet client.

Thank you so much. Easy as pie. Here's what you do on a Mac.

Simply open Terminal. Type "Telnet" then the IP address of the Humax box. This brings up the Humax# command prompt.

Then I followed your instructions. Brilliant!

To close the session, hold Control and ] and then type quit and press enter. Exit Terminal.

I'm also trying without success to copy a radio programme over to my Mac and convert it to an mp3 to listen to on the move.

I have copied it over but I can't play it or convert it from a .ts file to an mp3 using handbrake as I assume the encryption is still active.

I did copy the same file to the virtual disk and I can play it over the network. I assume this is now de-encrypted and I should copy it over to my Mac.

Just to clarify; is the correct process to first copy it to the virtual drive I've created and then copy this to my Mac over the network as it will then be unencrypted?

Now that I can use Telnet, is there a command I could type in that would do this for me?

I have auto unprotect (AU) and mediatomb installed, but my understanding is that AU slowly removes copy protection in real time. As I have 800GB of content it's going to take forever to de-encrypt that lot. Mediatomb I understand just lets you stream certain content.

Thanks again

Iain

A couple of misconceptions here:

Auto-unprotect does not decrypt. It simply removes the flags the Humax sets on HiDef material that prevent that material from being decrypted. You can decrypt StandardDef files by copying them to virtual - no need to wait for the files to be unprotected. HiDef files can be decrypted in the same way once the Enc flag, visible in the webif, has been removed by auto-unprotect.

For streaming, the Humax's built-in media server can stream SD files and HD files that have been unprotected to a suitable client*. The media server does the decrypting on the fly, so there is no need to decrypt files to stream them. Mediatomb (someone correct me if I'm wrong) does not decrypt on the fly. Its advantage is that it can 'see' and stream decrypted files from the virtual disk, which is inaccessible to the Humax server. Its disadvantage is that it cannot stream files that have not been decrypted. In practice, you will probably find the native Humax server to be more useful than mediatomb, which has been rendered largely obsolete by later developments.

*Sorry, I'm not at all sure what constitutes a suitable client on a Mac...

Are you running a HD-FOX? If you are, you cannot decrypt at all unless you are in HDR Mode. If not, you don't need Mediatomb because the standard server will be adequate.

Presuming HDR-FOX, once you have any particular recording decrypted (you can decrypt specific ones using the WebIF OPT+ options) you can also create an MP3 from it (also on the OPT+ list).

(simultaneous posting)

Thanks both for your fantastic advice. God, you know your stuff! So, how do I put my HD Fox into HDR Mode then?

To have 'create an MP3' in the OPT+ list would be a godsend. I see it's part of the latest version of webif. I wondered why I couldn't see it.

This will be the final part of the jigsaw. Hope it's not too tricky :D

Thank you. I have installed this and activated it. I copied my radio shows to the virtual disc and this process de-encrypted it. I copied these files to my Mac over the network via the Web interface and they play, but I can't see an option on the menus for 'save to mp3'. (Is there an option to do this from my HD Fox Tw box?) Am I missing something or have I missed a step? Sorry to ask again, I've had a good look on the Wiki but can't find this. It would save me having to convert the files using HandBrake - which doesn't like them anyway. I've been trying to do this for months. Please help if you can. Thank you Iain (HD Fox T2)

Use the Web Interface media browser to locate the decrypted version of the file, then click the OPT+ icon to the right of it to get a list of options which should include "Extract Audio" - this generates an MP3 file. I confess that I presume this is the case for an HD-FOX, I see no reason why it shouldn't (the process relies on ffmpeg and not any hardware capability of the HD-FOX).

Use the Web Interface media browser to locate the decrypted version of the file, then click the OPT+ icon to the right of it to get a list of options which should include "Extract Audio" - this generates an MP3 file. I confess that I presume this is the case for an HD-FOX, I see no reason why it shouldn't (the process relies on ffmpeg and not any hardware capability of the HD-FOX).
I think that you have to have the "ffmpeg" package installed before "Extract Audio" will appear in the OPT+ Menu.

Back