Format HDD from WebIF

Umpa

My Humax FoxT2 has no tv attached. I operate it remotely to record my programs and watch them on the go. Problem is the HDD is full, I would like to format the drive via the webif. Is this possible and if so what commands do I enter

Thanks

Ump..

I would like to format the drive via the webif
That would not be clever, because the WebIF lives on the HDD. The nearest you can get is to use a Telnet session to reboot into Maintenance Mode (which stops the Humax settop process so that the HDD is not in use), and then use the command line to reformat the relevant partition (and only that partition)... but then you will need to reinstall WebIF.

Why not simply delete all the files in My Video? Much easier, and you can do that through the WebIF media browser. If you have undelete installed, either uninstall it first, or you will need a second round to delete everything in the recycle bin.

Last edited:
Oh - ok, I figured I could just quick format the partition with the media on it. Its a speed thing that's all. I usually delete the programs through the webif it just seems to take forever and a day.

Cheers
Ump..

If you just want to delete all the recordings, then just delete all the recordings...
From the command line:
Code:
humax# rm -r "/media/My Video/"

Oh - ok, I figured I could just quick format the partition with the media on it. Its a speed thing that's all. I usually delete the programs through the webif it just seems to take forever and a day.

Cheers
Ump..
That is because the webif and humax menus use a slow delete in an attempt to reduce the impact on recordings and viewings, use rm as suggested above when you are not trying to do anything else on the box

I figured I could just quick format the partition with the media on it
...which is the same partition as the custom firmware resides on. Try a quick format on your PCs C: drive and see how well that does.

Also, "quick format" is a concept you picked up from Windows for FAT32/NTFS. Don't forget we're talking Linux and Ext3 here...

Try a quick format on your PCs C: drive and see how well that does.
:eek: Just assuming the operating system is too stupid to allow you to do this - format may be the last command (from the C: drive) that you use for a long while. (Which was probably your point).

From the command line:
Code:
...and you don't even need a Telnet session for that: install webshell (and reboot), then you can access the command line via WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Command Line instead of needing a Telnet client on your PC/tablet/whatever.

As noted in the previous replies, the processing load is prone to interfere with other tasks - so only do it when there's nothing else time-critical going on.

Last edited:
Code:

Surely that's going to delete the empty 'My Video' folder itself as well, which isn't what you want? You just want everything inside My Video removed with a wild-card on the end

Code:
humax# rm -r "/media/My Video/*"

Back