Format USB Flash Drive 64 GB (or larger) as FAT32

royalpalmbay

For those like me who have basic knowledge, I want to share my experience of getting a new USB flash drive (memory stick) which is 64GB (or larger). I wanted to format it as FAT32 so that I could use it both with my T2 and also my lap top, which is operating Windows 10. I soon realised that Windows 10 would not allow a flash drive above 32 GB to be formatted in FAT32 so I thought I would try formatting the flash drive via the T2 - DO NOT do this as the flash drive will not be recognised at all on your computer (I fortunately have an old lap top operating Windows Vista which did recognise the flash drive and I was able to reformat back to extFat i.e. back to square one).

I did some searching on the internet and eventually found a piece of free software which enables you to format flash drives of 64 GB and larger in FAT32 - it is called Rufus and can be found at rufus.ie . It is very straightforward to use once you have downloaded to your computer. When you launch the software it will automatically pick up your usb flash drive in the "Device" box - change the "Boot selection" to "Non Bootable", then check the "File System" box shows "Large FAT32" (if not then change), then click on "start" button and hey presto it is done. Now you will be able to use the flash drive to copy files from your T2 and transfer to another T2 or copy onto your computer or an external hard drive via your computer, and you can use the flash drive as normal with your computer.

I hope this is of help to other T2 users who also have a computer running windows, but are not very knowledgable about tech matters and therefore face the same problem I had.

Last edited:
Back