Formatted external hard drive, lost my recorded videos

I did not know that. What do you base your statement on?
Why? Just because you would like it to be other? You'll be disappointed. I base what I said on many years engineering experience, I know how these things work.

My question is genuine. How can any one be sure that when a manufacter claims USB2 compatabilty then the compatabilty that they are caliming only applies to the data and not to the power?

I need to check the USB3 specifications but I would be surprised if a fully USB3 compliant device (displaying the USB3 logo) would pass the acceptance tests if it failed the power requirements when operating in USB2 compatible mode.

I did not know that. What do you base your statement on?

I doubt very much whether any USB3 port would supply enough power for a USB3 3.5" disk. USB3 supplies more power, but not that much more.

Anyway, let's try to keep on topic and help the lady in distress, please?:disagree:

The other one is an Iomega desktop, but I can't tell you any more about it, because neither my imac nor my old Dell laptop will detect it. When I plug it in to the mains and connect it via the USB port on either computer, the light comes on, it whirrs away, but the icon doesn't appear on the desktop and it is not findable in the device manager.
Once again, thank you all for the help.

It could possibly be totally dead, or it may just need formatting, to work on either iOS or Windows, or both, or even Linux or your Hummy. However, in view of what happened in your OP, maybe formatting it isn't such a good idea? Formatting just means preparing it to store files and retrieve them. There are several different ways, but I don't have a Mac, so don't know whether these instructions make sense or are up to date:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Formatting_an_External_Device

I suppose you want UNIX File System, but if that doesn't work then try Fat32.

I searched for help with the Iomega HD and found a YouTube video explaining how to take it to bits and check inside. So I did this and nothing seemed amiss. I put it back together and now it works, even though I didn't do anything to it!
I'll see how I get on with the WD Passport portable HD attached to the Humax box. Last night I transferred a recorded programme to it and it worked OK.
Many thanks for all the help.

I put it back together and now it works, even though I didn't do anything to it!
That happens sometimes, a dodgy connection or something. Well done, you will have gained confidence with a screwdriver by finding you can put back together what you have taken apart.

I searched for help with the Iomega HD and found a YouTube video explaining how to take it to bits and check inside. So I did this and nothing seemed amiss. I put it back together and now it works, even though I didn't do anything to it!
I'll see how I get on with the WD Passport portable HD attached to the Humax box. Last night I transferred a recorded programme to it and it worked OK.
Many thanks for all the help.

Well done! Equipment is sensitive and sometimes needs attention and love. :hug:

I am talking 2008/2009 here :). I brought out the internal sata connection externally to a sata powered cradle using an esata cable, and at the same time built a usb powered switch to control the external cradle power. A second cradle (also controlled by the same switch) was connected to the rear usb port. As a result by simply slotting in a drive the box could format and partition it. This also made it possible to swap the drives and record directly to the drive normally connected to the usb port.

You could of course connect the usb drive to a PC using EXT2FS to copy content directly to it.

I ran like that for years until Raydons firmware essentially made it redundant. :).

Before that I did format and use a different and smaller drive using Slax linux

Back