Formatting a 128Gb Flash Drive on HDFoxT2

Hmmmm.
I now have two drives,
the original 500Gb with custom firmware, packages that I use/need and a large number of recordings.
A 1Tb with custome firmware, NO packges (except CF required ones) and NO recordings.
I can not clone the 500Gb onto the 1Tb drive as I end up with two 500Gb drives and no way of merging them back to 1Tb with all CF, packages and recordings, this is because the EaseUS I have is a free copy and has the merge greyed out, I can not use Gparted as I do not have a machine to run it on.
Can I plug both drives into the HDFox and copy 'ALL' the folders and files from one to the other via my a network command.
One of the files is [Modsettings] and appears to have nothing in it, another is *Modsettings and does have other files in it, there are a total of 12 files and folders visible on the original 500Gb drive.
If I can do what I'm suggesting will the files ect just copy from one to the other drive via th HDFox or will it involve the 'WHOLE' network while it copies.

I can not use Gparted as I do not have a machine to run it on.
You can, because when I'm doing disky things I ditch Windows and boot my PC from a live GPartEd CD/DVD (which is a minimal Linux with GPartEd already installed). Just download the image first and burn a CD/DVD, then interrupt the boot with an F12 (or whatever) to instruct it to boot from optical drive. Much safer than trusting your main OS with that kind of thing.

It is incomprehensible that a clone operation would create two partition; I can accept that it might clone a 500GB drive into half of a 1TB drive, but I see no reason it would create a second 500GB unless you told it to. Either way, GPartEd will fix it.

https://gparted.org/download.php
(Download "gparted-live-1.0.0-5-i686.iso" - "live" means it's bootable, and "iso" means it's an image that needs burning to optical.)

Last edited:
It is incomprehensible that a clone operation would create two partition; I can accept that it might clone a 500GB drive into half of a 1TB drive, but I see no reason it would create a second 500GB unless you told it to. Either way, GPartEd will fix it.
My mistake it clones a 500Gb and does leave the other 500 as an unformated drive. its me that then creates the other 500 drive.
Thanks for the link thats my next stop Ill let you know how it goes :)

its me that then creates the other 500 drive.
That's where you're going wrong. If you want to expand a partition, it has to be into unformatted space.

I was looking at the advertised features for GPartEd (yes, I know they spell it "GParted", but my way highlights that it's a Gnome Partition Editor), and found this (it'll wind prpr up a treat, and the punctuation winds me up pretty well too):
Features

GParted enables you to easily manage your disk partitions:

• Create partition tables, (e.g., msdos or gpt)
  • Create, move, copy, resize, check, label, set new UUID, and delete partitions
  • Enable and disable partition flags, (e.g., boot or hidden)...

Anyway, it's resize you want, but maybe "copy" is the same as "clone".

That's where you're going wrong. If you want to expand a partition, it has to be into unformatted space

Anyway, it's resize you want, but maybe "copy" is the same as "clone".
Thanks BH I have downloaded GPartEd, burnt it and after a bit of confusion what to select when running Live, I have it working on the 2 HDD by "copying"
the 500Gb onto the 1Tb no need to resize it will do it all in one, Its going to take another 2Hr 57Min, allreday been going for approx an Hour but it will be worth it,
Thanks for the Tip
Andy

Back