Formatting external HD

505diff

Hi folks this is my first post and I know the answer is right in front of me but I want to double check. I've got an 500GB external hard drive and want to format it via the Humax it all looks straight forward in the menu but I want to double check I'm not formatting the internal drive on the Humax as my other half has promised me if I do, my life will end, as most of the 700 of GB is her stuff. I done a search but nothing seems to come up of the subject, if your doing this on a pc it's very clear which drive your working on, but the menu just asks if you want to format hard drive, without confirming which one.

hmmm been a time since I did mine but you would expect the box to tell you something different on whether you have it plugged in or not !. Bear in mind that some external drives are not compatible you wouldn't want to be tricked by the wrong menu. I would suggest it should be talking about the USB drive, if it isn't then it's not seeing it.

My 1 GB Western digital was pre formatted so it did see it and then I reformatted it to ext3 rather than the defacto NTFS as I recall. You need a powered drive for starters.

if your doing this on a pc it's very clear which drive your working on, but the menu just asks if you want to format hard drive, without confirming which one.
Without your external hard drive connected go to MENU >> Settings >> System >> Storage Data Storage.
On the top row it will say 'Internal HDD'. Below that there will be a green pie chart. The Humax pie chart is green for an internal drive and blue for an external drive.
Exit this menu and connect the exernal hard drive , and then go back to the Data Storage menu. Highlight the first line and press the right arrow on your remote (its to the right of the OK buttton) and select the other disk and press OK. The Data Storage pie chart will now be blue and the top line will have the exernal HDD's label.

When you select 'Format Storage' it will format which ever disk has its details displayed at the time.

BTW I seam to remeber some posts on Hummy.tv where it was reported that it was easier to set up a Windows PC to read a ext3 formatted drive which has been formatted by some other means and not the HDR-FOX T2.

Thanks for your help, now done, don't need a pc to read it at the moment but, will bear in mind when I change it next time.

Back