Formatting External HDD with Humax Foxsat-HDR

Nigel Moss

This may sound silly, but where is the function to format an external drive via the Humax? (can only see option to format internal drive)
At moment the humax is refusing to see the external drive (says it is wrong format), and my pc only formats to exFAT or NTFS

Note: The post above was originally added to a topic in the HDR-FOX section of the forum, and has since been split to a new topic in the Foxsat section. This is important for context.

This may sound silly, but where is the function to format an external drive via the Humax? (can only see option to format internal drive)
At moment the humax is refusing to see the external drive (says it is wrong format), and my pc only formats to exFAT or NTFS
Menu >> Settings >> System >> Data Storage

The Humax won't format drives larger than 1TB or smaller than 32GB. There are utilities for a Windows PC that will format to Linux (Ext3), the best way probably being to boot a live Linux CD/DVD.

However, if the drive is FAT or NTFS, the Humax should at least see it and read from it (read support for FAT/NTFS/Ext2/Ext3, write support for FAT/Ext2/Ext3). Not all external drives are compatible with the Humax because of driver issues.

Update: It transpires that the poster was actually enquiring about Foxsat-HDR, having posted in the wrong section of the forum (and got uppity about it). According to Graham's post below, the Foxsat does not support formatting external drives, and (it would appear) cannot read NTFS drives. That leaves the poster the options of using Windows to format to FAT (which I believe is limited to a certain maximum drive size) or using utilities to format larger drives to FAT or to Ext2/Ext3.

It is an old 250Gb Maxtor drive.
Just keeps asking to reformat it to EXT3 or FAT16/32, but cant see the option within the humax (foxsat HDR)

This is the HDR-FOX T2 section of the forum and my reply was specific for HD-FOX T2 and HDR-FOX T2 only (not Foxsat) - you need to enquire HERE (click).

THere is nothing undeer the Foxsat section about this which is why I asked here, but looks like I'm being shunned again.
BYE

THere is nothing undeer the Foxsat section about this which is why I asked here, but looks like I'm being shunned again.
BYE
That's very unfair. You posted in the HDR-FOX section without stating context, and I did what I could to help on the reasonable assumption you were asking about HDR-FOX. Now we have context, Graham has provided your answer, which he would also have done if you had posted in the proper place. How dare you describe that as being shunned?

If you need help on a Foxsat issue, the question needs to be posted in a Foxsat context where it will come to the attention of Foxsat owners (and any reply be available to other users looking for Foxsat answers). If no existing topic applies to your query you just open a new one and give it an appropriate title (with the Post New Thread tool near the top right of the forum listing).

It's a pity I can't dislike a post. Don't blame us (or me) for your own negligence.

Now we are aware of the proper context, I conclude from the above that the Foxsat is unable to read NTFS drives and my advice re using a live Linux boot DVD to format as Ext3 remains valid.

I have moved these posts from the HDR-FOX T2 forum, as they are referring to the Foxsat-HDR.

Edit: Thanks to Black Hole for adding an explanatory note to post #2.

There is a program that will format a drive to fat30 .
EaseUs partition master Home edition .
It does other things too which I have not looked at

There is a program that will format a drive to fat30 .
EaseUs partition master Home edition .
It does other things too which I have not looked at

It will do Fat32 too! As can Windows.

More importantly, it does Ext2/3, the Linux formats.

Back