Forum, Wiki, Twitter, Blog...?

I've been pondering all this the last several days. I have professional experience, but beyond that I believe I have a talent for seeing things from a non-techie viewpoint and explaining clearly in plain language. You might think otherwise!

However, I am at a cusp and life is about to take a different direction. The last couple of years I have spent a lot of my time on hot standby, either fire fighting or standing ready to fire fight at a moments notice. As such I have had few opportunities to do much constructive, never knowing when I might get interrupted and therefore unable to pick up anything that might take more than a few minutes. Dipping in and out of the Forum has been a useful distraction.

Things are about to change, and I will be relieved of the present duty - but that will open the flood gates of all the jobs and activities that have been accumulating, put to one side until the opportunity presents. This is not exactly a resignation speech, but I do expect my contribution to the Forum to become somewhat less prominent. Not having made much contribution to the Wiki so far I feel somewhat left behind, neither do I expect to have the time to bridge the gap.

As their author I propose to transfer the Glossary and the Quick Start Guide (suitably adapted) to the Wiki, perhaps Ezra will set up a suitable place in the structure for them (I believe there is a port of the Glossary there already), but beyond that I anticipate stepping into the background, at least for a while (and the consequence of that is to be irretrievably left behind).

I'm sorry to hear that, particularly as I can infer what the cusp might entail.
Pop back in when you can; despite the odd bit of sniping it's a good community!

I agree. I doubt you'll get rid of me as easily as all that - just not a constant presence (somebody else will have to man the reception desk and not only tell them to RTFM but point out the right page). I'll need to stick around to be a thorn in the side!

Time's not up quite yet though.

@Ezra (I would have communicated this in private, but you have PMs disabled)

I've noticed in your posts and wiki for some reason you use "P.C." with dots, but nowhere else ("URL" for example). I make no comment other than to draw your attention to the inconsistency.

For reference, it has long been accepted practice to omit the dots.

BH

I've noticed in your posts and wiki for some reason you use "P.C." with dots, but nowhere else ("URL" for example). I make no comment other than to draw your attention to the inconsistency. For reference, it has long been accepted practice to omit the dots.
BH

I guess this is an example of the sniping af123 refers to in #45, I was hoping your ‘stepping into the background’ would result in a conversion from quantity into quality, Maybe it hasn’t started yet , having made 34 posts in 3 days, plus all the posts you'll get from answering this ! !

Yes, unfortunately the wiki is the target of people wanting to post adverts and other spam so we have had to require manual approval. Even requiring email address validation and a Captcha was not enough!

I've approved your account now.

Hi.

I've tried creating an account on the "wiki.hummy.tv" but i keep getting stuck on the 'Captcha' section.

Unlike most other websites i've used, there's no: "I'm not a robot" check box, and no obvious way to proceed.

I refer to the picture (below) of the Captcha:

Capture2.PNG

Last edited:
I've never read this thread before as it pre-dated my time here, until now.
This is not exactly a resignation speech, but I do expect my contribution to the Forum to become somewhat less prominent.
:roflmao: Well that never happened, did it? :roflmao:

You might not believe it, but my time on the forum is now minutes per day instead of the hours that were then.

Hi.

I've tried creating an account on the "wiki.hummy.tv" but i keep getting stuck on the 'Captcha' section.

Unlike most other websites i've used, there's no: "I'm not a robot" check box, and no obvious way to proceed.

Hi @Eric - give it a try now.

Back