Fox T2 and webcam

johntee

Hi,

I bought my disabled and widowed 85 year old mum in law a Fox T2 with freeview some years back, (2012 I think), and it still working brilliantly. It's installed upstairs next to her bed and feeds via HDMI to her TV set. However, last week the local thugs broke into her house via the kitchen window downstairs and she's now scarred of any noises she hears in the night.

Local crime prevention have fitted a free 20W LED PIR security light which helps, but she is still nervous.

I was wandering if there is any independent WebCam or similar cheap camera device that will feed into the T2 in some way so she can view it via as needed. If possible my wife wants to install such in the kitchen facing the window where the thugs came in last time and maybe cable run it to the T2.

Any help is appreciated as a CCTV system is not an option due to cost.

Many thanks,

John in Rochdale, UK

Last edited:
A cheap webcam is a small video camera that connects to a computer USB port and is used with computer software only. I know the HDR-FOX is, in essence, a special purpose computer system, but it does not have the range of facilities that would be required to connect a video camera to the USB port and present the resulting video on the TV screen.

You could have more success with a network camera. These are self-contained camera systems which require mains power (through an adapter) or internal batteries, and connect to the home network by WiFi or Ethernet, and make live video available to any computer connected to the home network (or that can log in via the Internet - which could be handy for you!). This does presume the premises has a network (and an Internet connection, if you require remote viewing). We do have some custom extensions to the Humax software that could work with a network camera, but I have to say you would require some technical competence to cope with setting it up, and it would not be a simple button click to switch the TV from normal telly to watching the security video and back.

Normal security cameras work with the old-fashioned analogue TV standard, and typically connect to a TV SCART input. Even modern digital TVs are still supplied with SCART inputs (for the time being - expect that to change). With the camera connected (it requires separate power), all the user would have to do is press the "source" button (or equivalent) to switch between live TV and the SCART input. But is she going to do that while watching something interesting on the telly, or if she does, isn't she going to be annoyed at missing some of the programme?

By far the simplest option is to use a security camera with a cheap or second hand small TV that can be displaying the security video all the time. Alternatively there are cheap video doorbell systems or video baby monitoring systems that would do a similar thing.

If you want to record the security video for later review and evidence, the HDR-FOX won't do that under any reasonable circumstances (it is possible, but only by using a very expensive HDMI-to-DVBT modulator). For that you need a computer setup, or a dedicated security camera recorder, or an old VCR with the security camera connected to its SCART input (it would record for as long as the tape ran, and then you would have to put in a new tape or rewind the same tape).

A cheap webcam is a small video camera that connects to a computer USB port and is used with computer software only. I know the HDR-FOX is, in essence, a special purpose computer system, but it does not have the range of facilities that would be required to connect a video camera to the USB port and present the resulting video on the TV screen.

Hi Black Hole,

Many thanks for your very extensive reply to my post. I follow what you've said and taken everything on board.

I think the best option is to try for an old / discontinued CCTV system with monitor for constant viewing.

Since this morning I've installed a security bar across the kitchen window which stops it opening fully from the outside.

This is a short term fixture of course, fire regs may apply.

It's a little like imprisonment but it will give her peace of mind until I can find an alternative.

Many thanks once more,

John in Rochdale, UK

Of course, CCTV will not help keep them out, but might help the police to catch the tow-rags if they can even be bothered to try.
But just might just help with a bit of peace of mind for Mum.

FOR GENERAL USER INFO.
The Custom Firmware for the HDR-Fox T2 had a Custom TV Portal package which added extra features to the Standard Humax TV Portal, one of the extra features was the ability to connect an IP Webcam (Network Camera) to the HDR-Fox T2 using a package called Portal Foscam (See link below):-
http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Custom_TV_Portal_%28Legacy%29#Portal_Foscam
However I don't think the current version of the Custom TV Portal package supports the connection of IP Webcams

Of course, CCTV will not help keep them out, but might help the police to catch the tow-rags if they can even be bothered to try.
But just might just help with a bit of peace of mind for Mum.

Hi Trev,
You're right about the potential for CCTV to give police evidence, unfortunately the criminal justice system does not thereafter provide enough deterrent via our courts for such offenders. It was in the paper last week that one scumbag was on his 143 offence for burglary, he walked free with a paltry fine. Now consider that he's permanently out of work, where does that fine money come from? It doesn't take much to guess.

Thanks for you post, it's most appreciated. I'll jump down off my soap box for now ;)

John in Rochdale, UK

FOR GENERAL USER INFO.
The Custom Firmware for the HDR-Fox T2 had a Custom TV Portal package which added extra features to the Standard Humax TV Portal, one of the extra features was the ability to connect an IP Webcam (Network Camera) to the HDR-Fox T2 using a package called Portal Foscam (See link below):-
http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Custom_TV_Portal_%28Legacy%29#Portal_Foscam
However I don't think the current version of the Custom TV Portal package supports the connection of IP Webcams

Hi Ezra Pound,

Brilliant information, I took a look at the link but think it's way above my capabilities to apply.
Obviously I'm not unappreciative of your efforts, it's just that I know my ceiling where electronics are concerned.
The good news, I've just found out that a family member works for "Farnell Electronics Ltd", maybe he can assist us? Fingers crossed.

Kind regards,

John in Rochdale, UK

To be honest a sign outside saying "CCTV in use" would probably be more effective than one camera pointing at one window.
I think an alarm connected to the doors and windows, with panic buttons next to the bed and by the front door, would be better for this situation. If the sounder is near the probable entry points then the intruders are unlikely to continue their encroachment (not being able to hear the cavalry arriving is unsettling).

To be honest a sign outside saying "CCTV in use" would probably be more effective than one camera pointing at one window.
I think an alarm connected to the doors and windows, with panic buttons next to the bed and by the front door, would be better for this situation. If the sounder is near the probable entry points then the intruders are unlikely to continue their encroachment (not being able to hear the cavalry arriving is unsettling).

Hi Mike,

I've just bought a couple of high frequency vibration alarms that fit to the windows. They are not the ideal deterrent for sure, but on a temporary basis until tomorrow they will at least go off if anyone attempts to smash a window. I have also fitted an internal door security bar on mum-in-laws bedroom too. She's feels more content now we made these changes.

Tomorrow I have my work cut out in making her house more permanently safe. It's real sad when criminals put the good people behind "bars", the world is bizarrely screwed up.

Kind regards, and many thanks for your post.

John in Rochdale, UK

Back