Fox t2 hard drive into you view dtr t1000

505diff

hi folks I've had to replace the t2 due to the green screen problem with a used you view box with a 500gb hd, I've swapped the hard drive out of the t2, which the you box has very kindly deleted! I've now got the hard drive connected to my PC to see if I can recover the files but it's not showing up any where. Do I need another piece of software, if not can anyone re command a good divorce solicitor as my wife has loads of u watched stuff on that drive.....

While it was in your HDR-FOX, the drive was formatted Ext3 - so a Windows PC would not be able to read it. I don't know about the DTR-1000T, it might have reformatted the drive to something else.

In any case, unless you had taken steps to decrypt the HDR-FOX recordings before transferring the drive, the files will be totally useless in any other machine. See Things Every... (click) section 5.

If the drive was decrypted, your best chance of rescue is to boot up Linux and use Linux disk recovery tools (Ext3 is Linux-native). Pretty slim chance, I would think.

If the DTR1000T has deleted the files from your old HDR-Fox T2, it will have done some level of formatting to the drive as well. Although recovery of these files is not impossible (with the right equipment / programs), is is going to be very difficult for you to to get them back, any recovered files would also need to be returned to the original box to be decrypted

If you just installed the disk from the HDR-FOX in the YouView box and switched it on, it probably did nothing to it unless you went into maintenance mode and did a factory reset or internet/ USB recovery. Did the YouView box progress past the 'please wait' screen when you switched it on? If it did you are out of luck: the YouView formatted disk has seven partitions in XFS format (some encrypted) and your old data will have been overwritten.
If your disk has not been formatted by the YouView box, your best bet is to reinstall it in the HDR-FOX. If you have a HDMI green screen problem, try connecting to the TV with a scart lead. The picture will not be as good but if your programmes are still there you will be able to watch them. If you then want to copy them and watch on a PC, for example, have a look at Black Hole's guides and the wiki as the recordings will need to be decrypted.
Even if your recordings have survived you will not be able to watch them on the YouView box. There is no playback via USB on YouView and while it is possible to copy them to a YouView formatted disk, they will be deleted when the unit boots up.

If your disk has not been formatted by the YouView box, your best bet is to reinstall it in the HDR-FOX. If you have a HDMI green screen problem, try connecting to the TV with a scart lead. The picture will not be as good but if your programmes are still there you will be able to watch them.
Good point. SCART will be good enough for emergency viewing, or installation of CF for decryption and viewing on another machine of some kind.

Back