Fox T2 sound output while watching HD channels?

rcflyers

Hi, I have a Humax HDR Fox T2 connected to my Samsung LED TV via an HDMI cable.
The Samsung TV is connected to a surround sound amplifier via an optical cable.
If I watch BBC one HD on the TV the amplifier sees it as Dolby Digital.
If I watch BBC one HD on the Humax the amplifier sees it as Dolby Prologic.

(As a test, I temporarily connected the Humax to the amp using the optical cable and got Dolby Digital sound.
I only have 1 optical input on the amp otherwise I would just connect the Humax directly to the amp.)

My question is:

Does the Humax transmit a Dolby digital signal to the TV through the HDMI cable?

If it does, maybe I need to upgrade my HDMI cable to a higher version?
If not, am I stuck with just Dolby Prologic sound from the Humax?

Thanks,
Martin.

Not all output from the HD channels is 5.1. The BBC, CH4 and NHKWorld HD is a mixture of DD2.0 (Stereo) and DD5.1. ITV1 HD is all DD2.0. Yes the HDR FOX T2 outputs DD2.0 or 5.1 as transmitted. on both hdmi and s/pdif. Most amps identify DD2.0 as prologic and usually have a dd icon as well. Most TV's however downmix DD input on hdmi and output as lpcm stereo which is most likely your problem. You can get a cheap mechanical toslink switch to connect more than 1 device to your single input.

eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-WAY-OPT...ion_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2c5b576b6e

The Humax does carry DD5.1 over HDMI and all qualities of HDMI cable will transmit it. The problem is that not all TV's will transmit DD5.1 out of the optical audio output. Instead it takes in DD5.1 and converts it to stereo (Prologic) to feed the TV speakers and also the SP-DIF optical audio output. Here are details from my (4 Year old) Samsung LE46A786 User guide
sammy786.jpg

The Humax does carry DD5.1 over HDMI and all qualities of HDMI cable will transmit it. The problem is that not all TV's will transmit DD5.1 out of the optical audio output. Instead it takes in DD5.1 and converts it to stereo (Prologic) to feed the TV speakers and also the SP-DIF optical audio output. Here are details from my (4 Year old) Samsung User guide

View attachment 274

No need to shout. :)

Back