Foxsat HDR 500 about 5 years old. Can't connect Ext HDD

RayArdia

I have tried to connect both USB sticks and an external HDD with no success. I assume I am not alone!
Have read the only thread that seems relevant but since the writer refers to a USB on the front of the box as well as one at the rear, perhaps he's got a newer box than mine as I can only find the USB at the rear.

The nub of my question is, what do I need to do to be able to use an external drive? I've tried updating the firmware but nothing seems to change.
Grateful for any help.
Ray

There is a flap, full width, on the front that you have to pull down to acces the front ?
Which firmware have yo 'tried updating'? Humax official or the Custom firmware?
Just plug it in then use the Humax file manager to change device.

There is a flap, full width, on the front that you have to pull down to acces the front ?
Just plug it in then use the Humax file manager to change device.[/QUOTE]

Found it! I really didn't know it was there! However, it didn’t make any difference, I still get the 'no, you can't do that' circle-with-a-line.
The firmware was Humax and I' not really sure I did the upgrade correctly anyway. Should I go for Raydon's bit of kit?

When do you get the 'no you can't do that 'circle?
Unless you can get the Hummy to see the USB socket, then you can't install the custom firmware.
Format a smallish USB drive as Fat32 (Windows default), Download raydon's firmware from the fitrst page of here where it says Latest update is v4.1.3 and is available for download from HERE.. Unzip it. Have a good read of the readme file. Copy the file FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf into the root folder of the USB drive (don't change the name). Put the Hummy into standby. Stick in the USB drive and reboot the Hummy by using the front panel switch (not the remote control). The Hummy seems to be a bit fussy about USB drives, so if the first one does not work, try a different one. If your Hummy is not networked, there is little point in installing the custom firmware. Is yours?
To find your software version. Menu -System - Diagnostics. Version should be 1.00.21

Last edited:
Just plug it in then use the Humax file manager to change device.

Found it! I really didn't know it was there! However, it didn’t make any difference, I still get the 'no, you can't do that' circle-with-a-line.
The firmware was Humax and I' not really sure I did the upgrade correctly anyway. Should I go for Raydon's bit of kit?[/QUOTE]

If you have just found the flap, chances are the original protective film is still stuck on the display (It's hard to spot). If you remove it, it will improve the response of the box to the remote control.

And while you are at it, scratch the grey coating off the inside of the round window just to the left of the main rectangular window to make the remote control perform even better.

Back