Foxsat-HDR communication with router problem

grazzer

Can anyone please advise how I set up a WiFi dongle in my Foxsat-HDR to talk to my T-Link router? Both are (802.11N)
I have tried this but my Apple AirPort Extreme (in bridge mode) is being silly. Perhaps it's me.
Should I try to get the dongle and router talking directly? Or will the APE try to intervene?

Can anyone please advise how I set up a WiFi dongle in my Foxsat-HDR to talk to my T-Link router?
Is this a USB dongle? If so it won't work in the FOXSAT as far as I know. You will need a wireless bridge that connects to the ethernet port on the FOXSAT.

Thank you Martin, and sorry if some of my questions are a bit basic.
Despite being a retired Electrical Engineer, I have much jargonese to learn.

The dongle is indeed usb.

I'll be ordering a wireless bridge later today...
Or, perhaps, plug-in ethernet connectors...
Or a reel of cat5 cable... (I have RJ45 terminals and a crimper).

I imagine the latter is the best option but would appreciate guidance please...

Cat 5 would be best if you can route the cable discretely. Whatever, if you get any kind of extender, the last kink to the Hummy needs to be cat5 as USB Wi-Fi dongles don't work (no drivers in the Hummy). If you fit your own RJ45's to the cat5, you must get the twisted pairs correct on Tx and Rx pairs, otherwise it won't work (from personal experience). See Here

Thanks Trev!
I usually use the T568B pattern.
I believe the Tx and Rx are pins 4 and 5, Blue and Blue/White.
But do we twist just one end? Or can the hummy work it out?

Thanks BH!
Owing to the simple cable route, and being an electrician, no problem with cat5, but a whole reel probably costs more than homeplugs, so off to town I go!

Thanks Trev!
I usually use the T568B pattern.
I believe the Tx and Rx are pins 4 and 5, Blue and Blue/White.
But do we twist just one end? Or can the hummy work it out?
T568B at each end is fine for a cable between the Humax and your router*.
(TX/RX on 100bTX are the greens and oranges (pins 1,2,3,6) - as long as you use either T568A or T568B, and the same at each end, that will put the signals on correctly twisted pairs)

* - for a cable between two computers you would use T568A at one end and T568B at the other although some routers will do auto-crossover with a straight cable.

Went for the cable in the end.
Now I can have components where I want them rather than dependent on the cables lengths I have at the moment!

Thanks for clearing up the wiring af!

Thanks again everybody!

Your encouragement to network has cost me dearly.
The ethernet switch and cables are all installed and the NAS Drive comes tomorrow.

I've just noticed that an additional light has appeared on the switch and on investigation find the FoxSat recording.
Does anyone know what the internet activity is? The light flashes, though not as fast as it would if streaming.

I appreciate this may be a very basic question, but I doubt the user's manual will help...

The Ethernet link lights will be active as long as the cable is plugged in (and both ends are turned on). There is always a low level of activity.

Back