Foxsat HDR -Freesat HDR-1000S

JontyG

I have upgraded from a Foxsat HDR to a Freesat HDR-1000S.

The old box has a lot of recordings that the spouse would like to watch.

Easy, I thought, just connect the old box to the TV via HDMI 2, and Bob's you uncle -NO UNCLE!
The old box needs to be connected to the Satelite co-ax and set itself up again (post code etc.)
SO
I thought of connecting the co-ax via a "Y" junction to both boxes.
BUT the new humax remote turns BOTH boxes on! - I am a bit worried that there might be a damaging conflict.

I gather from the forum that I can't copy the recorded material onto a USB stick for it to be read by the new box.

Any ideas?

The HDR1000S will play back the SD recordings made on your Foxsat-hdr (and HD if you had the Custom Firmware installed and nowsters patch). You can't easily split a satellite feed. You could export the Foxsat SD recordings to a usb drive and then upload them to the HDR1000S hard drive or simply watch them via the usb port. Assuming you had not got the CF and patch you can't watch HD this way. However to watch existing recordings you don't need a satellite connection. Just don't attempt to reset the box or do a freesat re-tune without temporarily pinching one of the lnb cables and connect it to tuner 1 in.

That's why I said not easily. If you know what you are doing you could provide a HDR1000S second tuner with a feed from a Foxsat tuner 1 out socket (no splitter required). This would restrict what channels are available to the HDR1000S second tuner when the Foxsat-hdr is on.

But as the OP only wants to watch existing recordings the Foxsat doesn't need a satellite feed at all. He couldn't use catch up services on the Foxsat either but as he has all 4 on the HDR1000S that's no issue either.

Thanks for all your comments.

I have a spare usb hard drive. How do I down-load the recordings to it?- and then load them onto the new box.

The old box stubbornly asks for my postcode!

Silly questions to you experts, but would be glad of help - might save the marriage!

Thanks for all your comments.

I have a spare usb hard drive. How do I down-load the recordings to it?- and then load them onto the new box.

The old box stubbornly asks for my postcode!

Silly questions to you experts, but would be glad of help - might save the marriage!

Connect it to the cables that the HDR1000S is now using. Set it up using your postcode. Turn it off disconnect the cables and boot it up. It will report no signal but you should then be able to access the media list and play back your recordings.

If you still want to transfer SD recordings then you will need a drive formatted FAT32 or EXT3 (The box won't work with NTFS).

I have just upgraded from a Foxsat HDR to the HDR 1000s and wanted to retain most of the recordings on the Foxsat. Easiest way I have found is to remove the HD from the Foxsat and mount it in and external HD dock with USB output and plug in the front USB socket on the 1000s. The 1000s detected it instantly and I was able to watch all the old recordings, including the HD ones.
I tried to copy a few to the internal HD but although they appeared to copy OK it reported "incompatible file format".
First impressions of the 1000s? I like the Foxsat better...

Back