Foxsat-HDR FTP and telnet working

A

ardgarten

Anyone know if I install this update will I lose all my recorded titles on the humax hardisk.

No, you won't, but judging by the title of your post you're referring to a now superceded mod. Look
here for the latest release.

Many thanks for the reply. Truth is I've been plucking up courage to install this uspdate so that I can archive files to my pc. However because I don't recognise any of the other applications except FileZilla I thought the first update would be the best bet. I've installed FileZilla on my pc and it seems friendly enough. I was hoping that it would be simply a matter of udating the Foxsat hdr, plugging it into my router and start the ball rolling. Any advice would be brilliant. Thanks again

If it's just ftp you want then download the latest package and reflash your box with the firmware that's included. After that it's simply a matter of putting the vsftpd auto-installer file onto the USB stick and plugging it into the HDR. No need to unpack it. Full instructions are provided in the package.

Thanks. I'll try that this evening. Thanks for the fast reply.

Hi raydon. I've final updated the firmware on the Humax. When reading the readme file the phrase "rocket science" came to mind. I have installed tinyFTP on both my pc and the humax box. I can see where to enter the login name and password but I haven't a clue what to put in the host name. I have tried running without but no success. I wonder when you have a minute if you could point me in the right direction. Cheers.

I have installed tinyFTP on both my pc and the humax box.
I assume you meant you installed tinyFTP server on the Humax and Filezilla client on the PC.
I can see where to enter the login name and password but I haven't a clue what to put in the host name.
For the host name, the easiest thing to put in there is the name of the box. i.e. Foxsat-HDR. This should be automatically resolved to the I.P. address assigned to your HDR when you connect.
Alternatively, you can enter the I.P address of your HDR directly using the format 192.168.0.5, substituting your HDR's I.P. address for the one I've quoted. To find out what it is, on the HDR open Menu-System-Network. The I.P. address will be the first entry on that page. In the Filezilla menu set Transfer-Transfer Type to Binary, and seeing as you have chosen tinyFTP which does not support passive mode, in Filezilla - Site Manager, Transfer Mode must be set to Active.
vsFTPd does support passive mode, and would have been the better choice. You can still change it if you wish. Installing vsFTPd will automatically uninstall tinyFTP.

Many thanks. I'll work through your suggestions one by one. 65 years old now and once a pioneer of IT, old age comes as a bit of a shock.

Further to my last reply. I have now connected the Humax Pvr to my Sitecom Wireless Range extender which I have hidden behind my TV and it's magic. Can't stop smilin'

Hi just found this forum/thread. FTP would make things sooo much easier.
I've downloaded the RAR. But how do I install it? Is it bootable, like 'official' updates?

Thanks very much Raydon, that was totally painless (when I found the time!).
FYI I used "Free RAR Extract Frog".
One issue: with vsFTPd I found both logins only gave me sda1 (the front USB). TinyFTP was fine, but transfers very slowly. I'll try samba sometime next week when the family invasion is over, and I can track down a non CR editor to edit the config....

Thanks very much Raydon, that was totally painless (when I found the time!).
FYI I used "Free RAR Extract Frog".
One issue: with vsFTPd I found both logins only gave me sda1 (the front USB). TinyFTP was fine, but transfers very slowly. I'll try samba sometime next week when the family invasion is over, and I can track down a non CR editor to edit the config....
sda1 is always assigned to whichever USB port is used first, front or back. The other will be assigned sdb1. Both are visible under the media folder , as and when they are plugged in.

Hi raydon
Firstly thanks for the Web Interface it look very neat.
However as a novice I am struggling to get to grips with a few things
1. When I look at the media file from the listing, when I click on a video all I get is a dialog box telling me what the programme is all about.
2. The Service Management says that Samba and vsftpd are installed, but where? Is there some additional software I need to install on my PC to access these programmes?

There are many more questions but this will do for starters.
Regards

Attachments

• Foxsat Web Interface Questions.pdf
    464.6 KB · Views: 10
Hi raydon
Firstly thanks for the Web Interface it look very neat.
However as a novice I am struggling to get to grips with a few things
1. When I look at the media file from the listing, when I click on a video all I get is a dialog box telling me what the programme is all about.
2. The Service Management says that Samba and vsftpd are installed, but where? Is there some additional software I need to install on my PC to access these programmes?

There are many more questions but this will do for starters.
Regards
Give me a break, I really don't have the time to spoon feed users who don't understand what it is they are installing. Go here http://www.avforums.com/forums/free...r-bundle-foxsat-hdr-release-4-0-part-1-a.html and start reading. After that you can ask questions in the thread if you are still unsure on how to proceed. I have enough to do in providing the tools to enhance your HDR. Please don't expect me to teach you how to use them as well. You've got to to do some learning yourself. Try Google to find out about things like Mediatomb, Twonky, and Samba. The information is out there if you are prepared to look for it.

raydon
Apologies for being such a twonk !:oops:. Reading underway! Next question will be constructive born out of some knowledge.

Back