Foxsat - HDR - "no or bad signal"

Mac

I'm running a Foxsat-HDR and a HDR-Fox T2 Freeview, both connected to a dual LNB from my outside satellite dish.

Yesterday, I noticed that on the Foxsat-HDR the programmes I had scheduled for recording did not record. This evening I paid closer attention and found that as soon as a recording had started I could not view any other station and the alert "no or bad signal" appeared. ( I can only record or view one channel.) I immediately thought that it meant that there must be something wrong with the LNB or dish, but as the HDR-Fox T2 is unaffected and is recording OK, I came to the conclusion that the signal must be OK as far as the machine?

I did the obvious "dafty" first steps and switched the machine off and then on.
I disconnected the wall plug, again without success.
I've tried recording different combinations of channels to no avail.....one channel only.

I'm no techy so before I start messing around with "factory re-sets" or whatever, has anybody any suggestions? If I have to do a re-set, what does that entail? Does it mean I have to set everything up as if it were a new machine?

STOP THE PRESSES!!!!......I have been trying all sorts of things since writing my post and I am embarrassed to have to tell you that I found that one of the cables from the LNB coming out of the wall and into the terminal of the HDR had worked itself loose!! Apologies for taking up your time reading this post.

Whilst I have your attention and since I have had both machines for nigh on ten years (and the Fox T2 is very hesitant to switch on .......I have to nip round the back of it and throw the main switch off and on!!)......if I were to replace my Humaxes and I need occasionally to record 3/4 programmes a night, what is the latest/recommended models to get?
Thanks for any replies.

Last edited:
You must be the first person to connect an HDR Fox T2 Freeview box to an LNB then.
On Amazon there was a negative review for either an HDR-FOX T2 or an HDR-2000T saying that it came with non- standard connectors and after they went to the effort of using a connector adapter it turned out to be totally junk as it wouldn't then tune into any channels.
but as the HDR-Fox T2 is unaffected and is recording OK, I came to the conclusion that the signal must be OK as far as the machine?
If your HDR-FOX T2 is working then it must be because it is connected to a traditional aerial. It can not use a satellite feed for multiple reasons.
In other words it could still be the satellite dish or the LNBs that are faulty as the HDR-FOX T2 working only proves that your traditional aerial and its lead are still OK.

Edit.
Aah! And now I've just noticed that the first post has changed.

Ah, I've just thought of a great new money making scheme...
If I make an adapter from 13A plug to exhaust pipe, and then plug it in to my car, my car will be electric powered, right?

On Amazon there was a negative review for either an HDR-FOX T2 or an HDR-2000T saying that it came with non- standard connectors and after they went to the effort of using a connector adapter it turned out to be totally junk as it wouldn't then tune into any channels.

If your HDR-FOX T2 is working then it must be because it is connected to a traditional aerial. It can not use a satellite feed for multiple reasons.
In other words it could still be the satellite dish or the LNBs that are faulty as the HDR-FOX T2 working only proves that your traditional aerial and its lead are still OK.

Edit.
Aah! And now I've just noticed that the first post has changed.

Luke.....Thanks for your sensible/helpful comments! I did say I was not technically-minded and now realise that, of course, the Freeview is connected to the aerial in the loft. I jumped to the wrong conclusion when I saw the two cables coming through the wall. We all have skills in different disciplines!

Can I persevere with asking for recommendations if I wanted to upgrade my equipment?

Don't replace either, especially the terrestrial HDR Fox T2. None of the latest T boxes are a patch on your T2.
If it is 'hesitant to start', then start another thread in the relevant section and 'we' will try to sort it out for you.
Re the FoxSat replacement ?????

BTW, you will get lots of silly/patronising/condescending/comical/etc. answers around here. Bear with them as it's easily by far the best place to be for things Humax and you will get sensible answers I can assure you, even from those who have been less than helpful in this thread. Incidentally, I found them amusing. prpr is one of the experts around here as you may find later if you stick around.

From another thread.
Whatever you do, don't bin the HDR Fox T2 before offering it to someone on here.

Can I persevere with asking for recommendations if I wanted to upgrade my equipment?
Hopefully. My question to you about an examine series that you are getting unwanted episodes recorded was with that in mind. Preferably a series that is still in your schedule to record.

I had a look behind the scenes at almost all 5 USA's series for the next 7 days and none of them should be recording from series set from any of channel 5's other channels.

Channel 5 do have phases were they do set themselves up for unnecessary cross channel recording, but currently it all looks fine in that respect. Different makes and models vary in their reaction to channel 5's unconventional series handling but at the moment you shouldn't be having any 5 USA extra recordings from the HDR-FOX T2 and so I suspect something else is going on.

Don't replace either, especially the terrestrial HDR Fox T2. None of the latest T boxes are a patch on your T2.
If it is 'hesitant to start', then start another thread in the relevant section and 'we' will try to sort it out for you.
Re the FoxSat replacement ?????

BTW, you will get lots of silly/patronising/condescending/comical/etc. answers around here. Bear with them as it's easily by far the best place to be for things Humax and you will get sensible answers I can assure you, even from those who have been less than helpful in this thread. Incidentally, I found them amusing. prpr is one of the experts around here as you may find later if you stick around.

From another thread.

Thanks for your reply Trev.
I'll have a thorough search through the T2 section to see if the startup problem has already been covered before I post my question.

Last edited by a moderator:
check your HDR-FOX-T2 for channels in the epg with channel numbers over 700. If you have these it means auto tune has picked up more than 1 transmitter. This can cause series recording issues. Solution is identify which transmitter you should be using
Thanks Graham. I have only one transmitter in the area.
My EPG tells me I have channels 1 - 257.

There was an interruption to the electricity supply today and the power has just come on, so I'll have a browse through the T2 part of the forum to see if my problem with the intermittent start has been discussed before. I'll post in the appropriate section.

Earlier quote from Black Hole......"The "green screen" occurs when the HDMI connection fails to negotiate during start-up. Curing it may involve ....... breaking and re-making the HDMI link."

I unplugged the HDMI two or three times from both the tv and the T2 and it seems to have worked, although the last time I switched on, it did give me a wee flash of green! Here's hoping!

Last edited:
Do you have any channels in the 800's. I think GLT typo'd. Duplicate channels from different transmitters usually go in the 800's.

Earlier quote from Black Hole......"The "green screen" occurs when the HDMI connection fails to negotiate during start-up. Curing it may involve ....... breaking and re-making the HDMI link."

I unplugged the HDMI two or three times from both the tv and the T2 and it seems to have worked, although the last time I switched on, it did give me a wee flash of green! Here's hoping!
It isn't going to go away. It's what makes Humax cr*p to use. It's a Humax problem that they refuse to recognize as theirs, refuse to fix, and runs through their entire range.

So why don't I get in on four HDRs and a couple of HDs then? HDMI problems (that are not due to an actual fault) are down to different manufacturers having different interpretations of a loose specification.

So why don't I get in on four HDRs and a couple of HDs then? HDMI problems (that are not due to an actual fault) are down to different manufacturers having different interpretations of a loose specification.
I have had the problems on as many Humax boxes, and only Humax boxes. My current Panasonics work with everything. My Humaxes failed with several TVs, two amps, and also two HDMI matrix boxes.

Back