Foxsat HDR not working

A cable will deffo work.:) A switch is only of use if you have an Ethernet cable near the TV and want to split it (It appears not to be in your case). I would first try the TV's WiFi and if that doesn't work, temporarily use your super duper 30m Ethernet cable and then come back here to investigate the alternatives. A cheap powerline is possibility, but if you get another HDR, that will need networking for full facilities as well as the TV so possibly a powerline WiFi extender device would do the trick as well as giving you a better WiFi coverage for your phone/tablet in the lounge.

A very long cable is handy to keep around for just such an occasion, for testing purposes. However, it is also quite straightforward to turn a long cable into two shorter cables (okay, so you have to buy a bag of connectors and a crimp tool, but once you have the tool it's a cheaper way to get Ethernet cables).

Thanks for the suggestions guys. So, a bluray is on the shopping list. Does this have to be wifi as well?

Probably not just to play BR, it'll connect to the TV via HDMI. But it depends on whether it has catchup TV facilities and of course whether you want to use them. If it has and you want to use them, then yes, it'll need a network connection of some sort.

A lot of Blu-Ray players (etc) have "connected" capability these days (except the budget models), but you don't have to use it or provide for it. Your TV will do all that itself.

Excuse me for saying, but you seem very naive about all this Pish. A Blu-Ray player, DVD player, PVR, satellite receiver... whatever, simply uses the TV as a means to display whatever it is it does. It sends the video and sound to the TV through a cable - these days it's an HDMI cable (from the HDMI output on the unit to the HDMI input on the TV), a few years ago it would have been a SCART cable.

A Blu-Ray player with on-line functions is simply bolting on "smart TV" capability in the same box - nothing to do with playing Blu-Ray discs at all (and it will also be able to play DVDs, VCDs, CDs...). Obviously, to do the "smart TV" stuff it needs a network connection, but if you don't provide one it simply can't do the smart TV imitation. No Blu-Ray player is ever likely to be able to stream content from a disk over your network to a remote device, simply because of the licensing issues (the disk authors wouldn't like it).

Go back to my glossary and look up HDMI.

Excuse me for saying, but you seem very naive about all this Pish.

I absolutely am naive, which is why I ask so many dumb questions and why I am overwhelmed when trying to find out what I need, especially if it is going off amazon reviews for products. I need someone to hold my and and say: "you want x, y and z".

I have a hard drive coming today. WD 500GB My Passport AV-TV DVR Expander External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBHDK5000ABK-EESN.

I assumed I could use that for catchup. The bluray would just to play dvds.

A lot of Blu-Ray players (etc) have "connected" capability these days (except the budget models), but you don't have to use it or provide for it. Your TV will do all that itself.

Excuse me for saying, but you seem very naive about all this Pish. A Blu-Ray player, DVD player, PVR, satellite receiver... whatever, simply uses the TV as a means to display whatever it is it does. It sends the video and sound to the TV through a cable - these days it's an HDMI cable (from the HDMI output on the unit to the HDMI input on the TV), a few years ago it would have been a SCART cable.

A Blu-Ray player with on-line functions is simply bolting on "smart TV" capability in the same box - nothing to do with playing Blu-Ray discs at all (and it will also be able to play DVDs, VCDs, CDs...). Obviously, to do the "smart TV" stuff it needs a network connection, but if you don't provide one it simply can't do the smart TV imitation. No Blu-Ray player is ever likely to be able to stream content from a disk over your network to a remote device, simply because of the licensing issues (the disk authors wouldn't like it).

Go back to my glossary and look up HDMI.

I have a load of kit with USB media playback. The only device I have that plays back 1080p24 content at the correct 24Hz is my LG blu-ray player (including a high end Panasonic smart TV). It also supports NTFS unlike some of the other devices. All my other kit uses 25Hz or 60Hz and the resulting motion artefacting is very noticeable. As the blu-ray has a control app on my phone it's all I use for media playbak

Lots to think about, thank you. You can call me a Luddite but I wouldn't dream of watching a film on my computer, and I wouldn't dream of using my TV to surf. We have only ever had 1 TV, now tomorrow we will have 2. My only experience of wifi is the bt home hub, which is rubbish and my phone sometimes cannot find it when in the same room. Oh, the printer is wifi, that is handy because I don't have to go to husband with USB stick in hand, begging. I am on a steep learning curve.

Wouldn't dream of insinuating Luddite to a Pish.
Your'e right. TVs are for watching TV on and computers et al are for internet stuff. (Now who's the Luddite?)

Samsung BluRay arrives Thursday. It doesn't do anything other than play disks, Simple. Perfect. You never know, I might get the bug and have wifi devices pinging all over the house. I wouldn't bet my shirt on that though :D

A sight to behold ;=)
You know where to come with your problems now. There's some pretty good agony aunts around here, of the electronics type.

Yes, thank you Trev. I will try and find an appropriate board to post whatever ails me :) I might change my user name to Luddite :D

I assumed I could use that for catchup.
Sorry to pick again (all in the spirit of education)... "Catchup" is how we refer to using the TV company on-line catchup services - eg BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, 4OD, etc. You don't need a hard drive for that, the TV access the company archives via the Internet connection.

You will use the hard drive for recording live TV to watch later, ie timeshifting.

Hi Black Hole, thanks again, you educate away. Your glossary is now my bible! If I can get it connected, I am sure that things will fall into place. If not, you will find me on another thread :D

I have to say that everyone on this thread has been very kind to me. It has been much appreciated. Whilst I need to be spoken to as though I was a 5 year old, maybe I should find a 5 year old to put my system together :D:D:D

Back