Foxsat HDR not working

Thank you everybody for your help.

The decision has been made. We have ordered a nice new smart TV which has freeview HD on board and is also licenced for freesat HD. We will live with it for a while, and if we can't stand not being able to record two channels at the same time, will invest in a new Humax and have the satellite checked out at the same time.

What TV? It is possible that you can't even watch one and record another. Check it out.

Using the TV's recorder facilities is only a stop-gap measure. You will want a new recorder, unless catch-up services are sufficient for your needs.

What does "licenced for Freesat" mean? Does the TV have a satellite tuner built in? If not, what does Freesat have to do with it??

Samsung UE40JU6410
Yes, I think you are correct record only. It seems such a backward step. For years we have been able to record two channels and at the same time watch another recording. Now to get two PVR tuners you need to spend over a grand.

We will see how we get on with it. At least it is licensed for freesat HD so if we get another Humax we may be back to "normal".

Using the TV's recorder facilities is only a stop-gap measure. You will want a new recorder, unless catch-up services are sufficient for your needs.

What does "licenced for Freesat" mean? Does the TV have a satellite tuner built in? If not, what does Freesat have to do with it??

Yes, I just haven't told husband this!

Licenced for Freesat HD is inbuilt. It means that you can add a satellite dish if you want to.

Yes, it does have two tuners, one for freeview HD and "licensed" for freesat HD. Whether you have to plug the satellite cables into the TV or whether you can attach a humax box is the question. I hope it is the latter.

You will always be able to do the latter, as I have no doubt the TV sports a multiplicity of HDMI ports for external video sources.

The reason for the queries is that saying "licensed for Freesat" is a very strange way of advertising satellite receiver capability. It leads to doubts - like telling you I am licenced to drive a car doesn't say whether I actually own a car. The prospective purchaser doesn't care whether the TV is licenced for Freesat-HD - saying it has a Freesat-HD capable tuner would be sufficient and more informative.

The reason for the queries is that saying "licensed for Freesat" is a very strange way of advertising satellite receiver capability.
No it's not. Some TVs have satellite tuners, but are not licenced for freesat, and as such are just a FTA sat receiver with no freesat EPG.
I think that the OP will soon get fed up with the recording facilities of a smart TV. I have one with twin DTB-T2 and twin DTB-S2 tuners (FTA sat and Freesat), and the recording facilities is dire as is the 'finding stuff you have recorded' aspect. I just use it's "extensive PVR" facilities for timeslip and my Hummy Fox T2 for recording stuff I actually want. Perhaps, and hopefully, the OP will have a better experience with hers.

Samsung have confirmed that I can hook up a Humax box if I want to. I can breath a little easier. Just have to wait for husband to get fed up and coughs up for one :whistling:

Nothing like making sure though, is there;)
My TV that I am less than gruntled with as far as recording is concerned is a Sammy that I paid quite a lot of my hard earned for about a year ago. Tuners galore and you can't even get an EPG without turning off timeshift and a limited one if you are recording. So you can't even pause a programme and then have a shufti at the EPG to see what's on next. Appalling:frantic:.

I hear you Trev. I have to say that I am concerned about our router. We have bt infinity, the wifi is so bad that we have two computers and so use ethernet cables. Quite often in the front room (where the TV will be) I can't get a signal on my phone. The router is in the back bedroom which is now an office. I might have to give up my ethernet cable so that the the TV can have one. Been looking at the broadband plug in extenders, but they have very mixed reviews. Unless someone has a magic solution.......

Microwaves really only work properly in free space, and at the powers involved here over short distances. Stick walls in the way (made of who knows what) and performance can very quickly drop off. You are much better off with Ethernet cables for stuff that is reasonably fixed in its location. If you need more Ethernet, get a small 5 port switch or similar (maybe with wireless access point as well) - they are very cheap. Don't try covering the whole house with one access point. It is virtually doomed to frustration, especially when you have umpteen damned neighbours using 'your' channel.

Thanks prpr, I will look into that. There are so many products that you would assume be doing the same thing, but evidently not.

Oh god, just looked on Amazon. Here we go again. Unmanaged/gigabit. Letters, numbers, they mean nothing to me. I am brain dead. :cry:

Actually, just checked the router. It has 4 ethernet connectors. We are using 2. A few years ago, I sent husband out for a 30 foot ethernet cable, he came back with 30 meters :eek:
We will try that before I do anything else. It arrives Wednesday, so will probably hook it up Thursday.

Actually, just checked the router. It has 4 ethernet connectors. We are using 2.
A switch will alleviate the need to add an extra cable if you have one near the TV already, however, if cabling is no problem, it's the best, cheapest and no extra mains sockets needed, way to go.
A few years ago, I sent husband out for a 30 foot ethernet cable, he came back with 30 meters :eek:
That's men for you. Serves you right for being in a non metric age. (I hate metric, feet and inches is my style). What is the existing ethernet cable doing?
It arrives Wednesday, so will probably hook it up Thursday.
Good luck.:)

The long ethernet is in a bag in a cupboard, it is way too long but I can get a shorter one if it works. The other two ethernets go to mine and husband's pcs, both of which are upstairs. A bit of a pain to get one and run it downstairs, under carpets etc, but hopefully we will only have to do it once. Currently, there is nothing downstairs. With appointments etc, husband has scheduled Friday as the build new tv stand/install TV/nervous breakdown. :D

Back