FOXSAT HDR PROBLEM

EXCALLIBER

I recently picked up a second hand Humax Foxsat HDR for my daughter. When I connected it up for her at her today I found it to be faulty. I have an identical model which I`ve owned for a number of years now and had no problems whatsoever with it. This one when I switch it on via the rear on /off switch the set lights up at front in Blue display panel but there is no red or blue light showing. The internal hard drive is powering up when I have HDR power on but I`ve noticed that the 2 Ethernet leds on the rear are on permanently. The standby switch on front does nothing when pressed. On my own HDR the Ethernet led`s go off seconds after power is on which is not normal. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
I bought this at a car boot sale for £45 and woman said it was working. I did not get her details so unable to trace or return. It was a risk I took buying but if not working I was hoping I would be able to repair it but been unable to find a service manual for the HDR. I`ve repaired loads of Humax Freesat HD Receivers and most of them required the 2200 capacitors changed.

Many thanks for the link. Unfortunately did not help. I`ve already dismantled this receiver and tested Power Supply, Front control PCB, Hard Drive and LNB panel and these are all working fine with no faults. I need to find out if it`s simply a blown capacitor on the main board or something more sinister, so I`d really like to find out if any group member who has technical knowledge on this model has repaired any components on the main PCB. As I said earlier the 2 Ethernet LED`s are permanently illuminated and should go out shortly after powering the unit up. Ethernet LED`s are constantly illuminated and these should go out shortly after the unit is powered up.

Tried to upload a photo which I have taken of interior main board but was unable to do so as I don`t have any points.

The Foxsat-HDR doesn't have the poor quality Capxon capacitors found on a Foxsat-HD. Will the box boot with the hard drive disconnected ?

Unfortunately it don`t even boot with Hard Drive disconnected. I was wondering if it could be a firmware issue but I can`t do a Firmware update as it needs to be able to enter stand-by mode for this.

Unfortunately it don`t even boot with Hard Drive disconnected. I was wondering if it could be a firmware issue but I can`t do a Firmware update as it needs to be able to enter stand-by mode for this.

Shame - my original 2008 Foxsat with 1TB drive is still working like yours. These days it doesn't do much recording but is used (thanks to the Custom Firmware) to monitor Freesat channel changes.

Unless it's been out of service for a very long time unlikely to not have the latest firmware. Most likely a hardware issue.

I`d really like to find out if any group member who has technical knowledge on this model has repaired any components on the main PCB.
That's a very big ask. Unless the fault is a simple and identifiable broken solder joint, the chances of repair are remote in the extreme (how would you work out what part to replace, where would you get replacement components from, and how would you go about fitting them even if you could get them?). You would be far better off concentrating your effort on sourcing another unit from eBay or wherever. The parts you say are tested and working will make useful spares (you could even buy a "broken" unit in the hope that whatever is broken is something you have a replacement for).

Tried to upload a photo which I have taken of interior main board but was unable to do so as I don`t have any points.
I'm not aware that "new members" can't post photos. If you are using a mobile browser, you need the "Upload a File" button and then to insert the thumbnail (or the whole image, as long as it isn't huge) into the post. The image upload is limited in data size. If you are using a PC, simply drag or paste the image file into the post.

EXCALLIBER.....Just a thought......have you tried disconnecting the Satteite cable ...And then switching on your Humax HDR while Holding the Front silver on off button down? .....this worked on my Foxsat HDR one or twice .....when it became unresponsive/ locked up....... don't forget ...both Satellite cables must be disconnected...or this technique does not work!....

Good luck....

EXCALLIBER.....Just a thought......have you tried disconnecting the Satteite cable ...And then switching on your Humax HDR while Holding the Front silver on off button down? .....this worked on my Foxsat HDR one or twice .....when it became unresponsive/ locked up....... don't forget ...both Satellite cables must be disconnected...or this technique does not work!....

Good luck....
Thanks again for your help. No joy with Sat cable disconnected.

Attachments

• HUMAX HDR INTERIOR.jpg
    HUMAX HDR INTERIOR.jpg
    637.7 KB · Views: 15
Have you tried switching off at rear, connecting usb stick with .hdf update file in root. Hold down front power button while switching on at rear. ?

Back