Foxsat-HDR refusing to record some channels

For some months I have noticed that some programmes won't record when selected on the EPG. For example, Film 4 recordings are scheduled for 3:14 19/1/2038. To get round it I set it to record the programme on Film 4+1 (Ch 301), then I manually edit the channel number and time. Ch 101 does the same. Here I set the recording on the equivalent HD channel before editing it back. None of this is to do with clashes with other recordings.

(A minor nuisance is that manual edits don't handle serialised broadcasts. Such recordings have to be set to Daily or Weekly and eventually terminated manually.)

Is this a Freesat thing, or is it that my Humax is overdue for replacement?

Is your box left in sby overnight ? Are you in the UK or if not can you view channel 999 ? If you can watch 999, have you tried a reset to factory defaults. Have you got the custom firmware installed and Nowsters patch ?. If using the custom firmware are the problem recordings set via the CF web interface or directly on the box.

In standby mode when unused.
In UK.
Have tried reset.
CF 4.1.3, but not, as far as I know, Nowsters patch (?) - I will now look for this.
Problems with both ways of setting recordings.

I should have made it clear this is a fairly recent problem and I can think of no changes I had made to set up, firmware, etc. that might conceivably have caused it. I've rather assumed it was a creation of the freesat broadcasters.

I should have made it clear this is a fairly recent problem and I can think of no changes I had made to set up, firmware, etc. that might conceivably have caused it. I've rather assumed it was a creation of the freesat broadcasters.

Just set recordings from both channels, no problems. Do you have the same problem if you record one of the other BBC 1 SD regions ?

It was only ever a problem in that it no longer works the way it used to, and that now I have to edit the settings myself. It's not the end of the world, but I can't see why it should have changed and I'd like to know why.

I haven't tried other BBC 1 variations; I only use the four SouthEast BBC & the main ITV channels, plus their HD versions and Film 4, and I didn't want to go through the retune, then delete, process again.

Anyway, if no one else has this problem it must be my set up that is at fault.
If I can't correct it, I'll have an excuse to buy a new STB.

You should always keep at least one of the BBC SD regions that has the opposite polarisation to your BBC SD region at 101. It extends the capability to watch BBC SD while recording two. Still suspect it might be the original version of nowsters patch that you still have installed. Did the issue start around clock change ?

Telnet into your Foxsat and paste the following text

opkg install http://www.nowster.org.uk/humax/settop-patch_4.0.9utc_mips.opk

Then reboot the Foxsat.

Last edited:
For some months I have noticed that some programmes won't record when selected on the EPG. For example, Film 4 recordings are scheduled for 3:14 19/1/2038. To get round it I set it to record the programme on Film 4+1 (Ch 301), then I manually edit the channel number and time. Ch 101 does the same. Here I set the recording on the equivalent HD channel before editing it back. None of this is to do with clashes with other recordings.

(A minor nuisance is that manual edits don't handle serialised broadcasts. Such recordings have to be set to Daily or Weekly and eventually terminated manually.)

Is this a Freesat thing, or is it that my Humax is overdue for replacement?

I had the same problem after the Euro's finished. The foxsat was getting confused what region it should record. I was told to delete all the channels I didn't need (BBC 1 Scotland BBC1 Wales etc.) and then reset the recording schedule to your region in my case BBC1 London. Then the box knows exactly what channel to record. I haven't had a problem since.

Thanks for all your help on this, guys, but I've poked around the technical stuff (Telnet? Nowster? opkg?) and got completely lost, so I'll run with what I've got.

Back