Foxsat to tv connection

I have my Foxsat connected to a Panasonic TV and a home cinema box. The picture comes from the Foxsat (the TV is Freeview, so doesn't receive anything directly), while the sound is played through the home cinema speakers.

I would like to remove the home cinema and play video and audio through the TV. The Foxsat manual says that if the two are connected with an HDMI cable no other connection is needed. So I removed all cables except the HDMI (and power, of course). The picture is still OK, as one would expect, but the sound is virtually, but not quite, inaudible. And yes, i have turned the volume setting up. What am I not doing, or what is the manual not telling me?

I don't have a Foxsat box myself, but I do have a Humax Freeview HDR. You say you have turned the volume setting up, but is that on the TV or Foxsat or even both? The Freeview HDR has it's own volume control so I wonder if the Foxsat has something similar and you have that level very low. Just a punt.

I don't have a Foxsat box myself, but I do have a Humax Freeview HDR. You say you have turned the volume setting up, but is that on the TV or Foxsat or even both? The Freeview HDR has it's own volume control so I wonder if the Foxsat has something similar and you have that level very low. Just a punt.
Yes, you're right. The Foxsat has to be set quite a bit higher than I expected and i hadn't turned it up enough.

Cheers.

Be prepared for having no sound occasionally, too: I abandoned that setup and went back to using optical cable back to my AV amp for sound. HDMI CEC and HDMI HDCP are as reliable as one another, ie, not at all reliable.

Be prepared for having no sound occasionally, too: I abandoned that setup and went back to using optical cable back to my AV amp for sound. HDMI CEC and HDMI HDCP are as reliable as one another, ie, not at all reliable.
Thanks for the warning, but I'm ditching my home cinema box and I have just the foxsat box and the tv, which has no optical input, so I don't have much choice.

Thanks for the warning, but I'm ditching my home cinema box and I have just the foxsat box and the tv, which has no optical input, so I don't have much choice.

Ah! I was thinking of optical out from TV to amp. Yes, your configuration will work most of the time. Occasionally, you may have to switch the TV off and on to get a picture, because of wretched HDMI HDCP. There seems to be no way of avoiding it, and as far as I know it only happens when the Hummy is recording, or awake and about to record.

Never been an issue (since 2008) with my Foxsat-hdr and a Sony Bravia TV. Audio is via s/pdif (coax with optical to coax converter at HDR end) to a remote Denon AV Amp. TV audio is never used.

Well, bully for you Graham! You have the one combination that works!:p

You can't prove a bug doesn't exist with a case that works. You can only prove a bug exists with a case that doesn't work.

Back