Foxsat with Home Assistant?

Tnbond

There's a package for it - Mosquitto 1.6.15 - which you'll need to install.
After that you're kind of on your own to concoct the necessary infrastructure.
If you're interested and capable, I can upload it to the repository for you.
I know nothing about HA I'm afraid.
Sorry to jump in a few months later..
Would you be able to release the source of it please? On the package page.. I don’t see the source listed, only the package or bundle file.

I would like to try compile it for the foxsat hdr (or make an attempt)

I’m a HA user as well and stumbled on this. If successful… Might be able to document it for other users.

Would you be able to release the source of it please?
You just download it from here. I suggest 1.6.15 as I couldn't get 2.0.x to build without loads of stupid errors (how people write code like that is beyond me).
I would like to try compile it for the foxsat hdr (or make an attempt)
You'll need a cross-compile environment set up. Mine is currently inaccessible, but probably easy to generate an appropriate package for the Foxsat from my existing HDR setup (although I've never actually compiled anything for the Foxsat).

You just download it from here. I suggest 1.6.15 as I couldn't get 2.0.x to build without loads of stupid errors (how people write code like that is beyond me).

You'll need a cross-compile environment set up. Mine is currently inaccessible, but probably easy to generate an appropriate package for the Foxsat from my existing HDR setup (although I've never actually compiled anything for the Foxsat).
Ah cheers for that!

I have a Debian box on the go and have installed the Humax Complier tool on it for the HDR... how it works .. no idea. I'm not a programmer!
Hopefully I can google and bluff my way through!

I'll have a crack at that now and see how far I get.

I lol'd at that
I see there is a bit of docs for the T2 but not for the FoxSat-HDR for compiling on the box itself which probably would make like easier than trying to do it on an external host.

I'll keep at it and see if I can get something to work. No promises though.
RIP Me.

Ah.. the more you know!
External host is the only way so. Cheers, that saved going down another rabbit hole.

probably easy to generate an appropriate package for the Foxsat from my existing HDR setup (although I've never actually compiled anything for the Foxsat).
It seems that it's not that easy, even when you have some idea what you're doing.
I finally got it to compile and link (without certain options that are in the HDR version, due to missing libraries etc.) but it won't run:
Code:
# ./mosquitto

./mosquitto: symbol 'stdout': can't handle reloc type 0x7e
# ./mosquitto_pub

./mosquitto_pub: symbol 'stdin': can't handle reloc type 0x7e
I have no idea what that actually means, nor how to solve it (and big G doesn't offer much help), so I'm giving up.

Later: Found this in the output of readelf:
Code:
Relocation section '.rel.dyn' at offset 0x1448 contains 5 entries:
 Offset     Info    Type            Sym.Value  Sym. Name
00000000  00000000 R_MIPS_NONE      
004513f0  0000067e R_MIPS_COPY       004513f0   stdout
004513f4  0000137e R_MIPS_COPY       004513f4   __ctype_b
004513f8  0000397e R_MIPS_COPY       004513f8   stdin
004513fc  0000637e R_MIPS_COPY       004513fc   stderr
and found out that R_MIPS_COPY == 0x7e, so it all ties together.

Last edited:
It seems that it's not that easy, even when you have some idea what you're doing.
I finally got it to compile and link (without certain options that are in the HDR version, due to missing libraries etc.) but it won't run:
Code:
# ./mosquitto

./mosquitto: symbol 'stdout': can't handle reloc type 0x7e
# ./mosquitto_pub

./mosquitto_pub: symbol 'stdin': can't handle reloc type 0x7e
I have no idea what that actually means, nor how to solve it (and big G doesn't offer much help), so I'm giving up.

Later: Found this in the output of readelf:
Code:
Relocation section '.rel.dyn' at offset 0x1448 contains 5 entries:
 Offset     Info    Type            Sym.Value  Sym. Name
00000000  00000000 R_MIPS_NONE     
004513f0  0000067e R_MIPS_COPY       004513f0   stdout
004513f4  0000137e R_MIPS_COPY       004513f4   __ctype_b
004513f8  0000397e R_MIPS_COPY       004513f8   stdin
004513fc  0000637e R_MIPS_COPY       004513fc   stderr
and found out that R_MIPS_COPY == 0x7e, so it all ties together.
I have no idea what any of that means but that is some fair go at it. So fair play!

I wish I could offer something to help but I am as useless as a chocolate teapot in that kinda situation.
Maybe the Artitechture can't handle it - But it seems like the DD-WRT community have figure out how to compile on a MIPS artitechture but their files are in IPK - to which knowningly it would fail to install.
Not sure if that information is useful or if Router's MIPS artitechures are different from the HDR's.. Different processor? different instruction/feature set etc.

Maybe the Artitechture can't handle it
It can, it's just something specific needs setting in the build to avoid whatever relocation stuff is unsupported on the Foxsat.
if Router's MIPS artitechures are different from the HDR's..
It depends on the router. Mine is mipsbe (which is the same as the Foxsat) but you can't make your own packages for it (it's not DD-WRT).
Different processor? different instruction/feature set etc.
ARM64 seems to be a popular choice these days. MIPS seems to be on the way out.

Anyway, by tweaking the compiler options, I have now got it to build and run successfully. Just need to package it for a real test.
Why would somebody want to run home assistant software on their router?
The same could be said of people wanting to run odd stuff on their PVRs.

I can understand one might be able to say "Alexa record Countryfile" (or whatever the correct syntax might be), but what could you command a router to do? "Alexa turn off Wi-Fi"?

Why would somebody want to run home assistant software on their router?
I can understand one might be able to say "Alexa record Countryfile" (or whatever the correct syntax might be), but what could you command a router to do? "Alexa turn off Wi-Fi"?
Sort of.
You can set it up to respond to whatever name you wish but HA will be in your local network under your control rather than on the cloud.
So instead of your doorbell communicating to the external Ring server; the security camera to the external Hikvision server; your smart plugs and switches to the mega secure external server; your peripherals to Netgear/Synology/Epson/HP etc., you'll set them up to talk to your local HA server.

Last edited:
It can, it's just something specific needs setting in the build to avoid whatever relocation stuff is unsupported on the Foxsat.

It depends on the router. Mine is mipsbe (which is the same as the Foxsat) but you can't make your own packages for it (it's not DD-WRT).

ARM64 seems to be a popular choice these days. MIPS seems to be on the way out.

Anyway, by tweaking the compiler options, I have now got it to build and run successfully. Just need to package it for a real test.

Jaysus fair play - Bit behind on responding so apologises! Wife is Expecting - got distracted from the aul tinkering.

Someone owes you a coffee/pint for your efforts!

If there is something I can do to assist - just let me know! Not sure how useful I can be.

If there is something I can do to assist - just let me know! Not sure how useful I can be.
Not really. It's just a matter of finding the time to do it, and there are lots of other things to do. And I'm nothing like as familiar with the Foxsat, nor do I have an immediately available machine to test on. And you hadn't posted, so the priority got lowered even more.

Not really. It's just a matter of finding the time to do it, and there are lots of other things to do. And I'm nothing like as familiar with the Foxsat, nor do I have an immediately available machine to test on. And you hadn't posted, so the priority got lowered even more.
That’s fair.

Testing I could do since I have the unit.
I’ll keep an eye on responses since life has calmed down.

Whenever you have time - great! I believe this is worth waiting for - on the flip side, I’m not even sure how many boxes are still in active use today.

I’m based in Ireland, so we don’t have Freeview ota hence why my own continued use of the freesat box.
(More useless info there)
Once again, appreciate the effort put in!

I'm a little confused. I thought this was about the Humax HDR T2.
Are any other Fox T2 users out there using Home Assistant? If so, I was wondering if you had any useful automation ideas to share?

It would be useful to detect the current operational state of the Humax from within HA (i.e. playback, recording, idle, which channel is selected), but I have no idea whether that is possible??
But it looks like recent replies are mentioning Foxsat which is a little different.

Back