FoxT2 Hootoo connection

1. Why didn't i need to sign in to iplayer?
2. Can I change the quality setting on iplayer as I do on my laptop device to stop it buffering?
Although the iPlayer software is downloaded on each use, the pointless sign-in requirement has never been added to the settop box iPlayer versions. Presumably it was thought to be too difficult to support when real keyboards aren't available.

The software is meant to pick the best quality for your connection, but you can help it using the Settings>Video Quality menu that is accessible from the Settings icon at the bottom left of the display (so you do Left, Down, Down, Down, Down, OK to open Settings).

Update 3.

Armed with nothing but my new self confidence built on the minor successes of the week,and the fluff I had found in my pant drawer, I lept out of bed bright eyed and bushy tailed like a fox.

Grabbing my 30 year old USB stick which had been loaded with the custom firmware, I headed for the hummy. I must admit, I was somewhat excited at the prospect of all the promised goodies lying in wait for me in a few moments time. My shaky fingers inserted the USB and something started happening.

But then.......disaster struck.........

("what happened?", I hear you all cry. Tune in next week folks for the thrilling conclusion of Hummymummy. How I trashed my 10 quid box)

Last edited:
Error : E-HC
Programming...
Press 'STANDBY' button to restart...

Goes off to read the instructions.

Time spent so far: 1hr 45 mins.

Last edited:
We have that covered – see here: https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Error_Codes (although I'm not sure where the list came from originally).

Sounds like your .hdf is corrupt.
I knew you guys would have. You are all just so thorough, and helpful.

This is, by far, the best forum I have ever encountered regarding speed of reply and technical knowledge.

Do you lot know anything about boats too?

Time spent so far: 1hr 48 mins.(1 hour spent reading the quick start guide, 43 minutes spent finding a suitable USB drive, 2 minutes making tea, 5 minutes installing firmware)

So, looks like I have been corrupted, even though I've been double jabbed. Can anyone help uncorrupt me please?

Last edited:
Time spent so far: 1hr 48 mins.(1 hour spent reading the quick start guide, 43 minutes spent finding a suitable USB drive, 2 minutes making tea, 5 minutes installing firmware)
Your time commitment is not yet even nursery slopes. If you want to sink several days on a light giggle, have a read through AvP.

So, looks like I have been corrupted. Can anyone help uncorrupt me please?
Now you've been seduced by the dark side, that ain't gonna happen.

I can't just jump to the conclusion that prpr's upload was corrupt, so we need to diagnose where and why the corruption has occured.
  1. Read back the .hdf from the UPD and run a binary compare on it with the .hdf payload in the .zip

2. Presuming that checks out, run an SHA1 hash on the .hdf and post the result (download a utility or use a web service google "SHA1 hash").
Meanwhile, is the box still running OK on 1.03.13? If not, you should be able to re-install 1.03.13.

Last edited:
If you want to sink several days on a light giggle, have a read through AvP.

Now you've been seduced by the dark side, that's ain't gonna happen.

I can't just jump to the conclusion that prpr's upload was corrupt, so we need to diagnose where and why the corruption has occured.
  1. Read back the .hdf from the UPD and run a binary compare on it with the .hdf payload in the .zip

2. Presuming that checks out, run an SHA1 hash on the .hdf and post the result (download a utility or use a web service google "SHA1 hash").
Meanwhile, is the box still running OK on 1.03.13? If not, you should be able to re-install 1.03.13.
Hmmmm. Ok, and assuming that is easier done than said:

1. hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf v hdr_10312_mod313a.zip

Nope read that again, I have no idea what a binary compare is. Is it anything like a blueberry Kompot? Scurries off to ask Go Ogle

2. Pending.

Ah, a question I can answer. Yes, it is still running 1.03.13

Time spent so far: 1hr 49 mins.(1 hour spent reading the quick start guide, 43 minutes spent finding a suitable USB drive, 2 minutes making tea, 5 minutes installing firmware, 1 minute figuring out what a binary compare is. 1 minute bookmarking the assume v presume thread for later reading.

Last edited:
I immersed the USB device in a half eaten jar of blueberry Kompot that my Granny gave me in 1982 in the hope that that would help. I am far from certain how long I should leave it in there, but I did scrape the mould off the top first. It didn't look too good, but the cat ate it anyway.

Update 4.

The good news: The cat lives.

The bad news: Whilst licking the blueberry Kompot from the USB stick, the cat has inadvertently swallowed it. I will have to wait until tomorrow now to try again.

Time spent so far: 1hr 55 mins.(1 hour spent reading the quick start guide, 43 minutes spent finding a suitable USB drive, 2 minutes making tea, 5 minutes installing firmware, 1 minute figuring out what a binary compare is. 1 minute bookmarking the assume v presume thread for later reading. 3 minutes scraping mould from the blueberry Kompot. 4 minutes resuscitating the cat.)

Last edited:
You're distracting me! :)

I have no idea what a binary compare is
Easiest to explain (presuming you are using Windows):
  1. Press Win+R and type cmd.exe to open a Windows command terminal. You should see a command prompt something like "C:\Users\<username>". Create a temporary folder:
    Code:
    mkdir temp
    cd temp
    (mkdir = make directory, ie "folder"; cd = change working directory)

2. Find the temporary folder in Explorer (My Computer). Copy the .hdf from the UPD into the folder and rename it x.hdf. Unzip the .zip into the folder and rename it y.hdf.

3. Back in the command terminal again:
    Code:
    fc /b x.hdf y.hdf
    (fc = file compare; fc /b = binary file compare)

4. Clean up:
    Code:
    del *.*
    cd ..
    rmdir temp
    exit
    (del = delete; *.* = all files; .. = parent directory; rmdir = remove (delete) an empty directory; exit = close session)
Here's my session:
Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Black Hole>mkdir temp

C:\Users\Black Hole>cd temp

C:\Users\Black Hole\temp>dir
 Volume in drive C is OS
 Volume Serial Number is 405D-3201

Directory of C:\Users\Black Hole\temp

24/11/2021  10:34    <DIR>          .
24/11/2021  10:34    <DIR>          ..
19/11/2021  19:22        18,984,024 x.hdf
19/11/2021  19:22        18,984,024 y.hdf
               2 File(s)     37,968,048 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  37,447,548,928 bytes free

C:\Users\Black Hole\temp>fc /b x.hdf y.hdf
Comparing files x.hdf and Y.HDF
FC: no differences encountered

C:\Users\Black Hole\temp>del *.*
C:\Users\Black Hole\temp\*.*, Are you sure (Y/N)? y

C:\Users\Black Hole\temp>cd ..

C:\Users\Black Hole>rmdir temp

C:\Users\Black Hole>exit

Alternatively, just run SHA1 on both the downloaded (and unzipped) .hdf and the .hdf from the UPD. Try here: https://emn178.github.io/online-tools/sha1_checksum.html

If the hashes are the same, the overwhelming likelihood is that the uploaded files are the same.

Last edited:
You're distracting me! :)

Easiest to explain (presuming you are using Windows):
  1. Press Win+R and type cmd.exe to open a Windows command terminal. You should see a command prompt something like "C:\Users\<username>". Create a temporary folder:
    Code:
    mkdir temp
    cd temp

2. Find the temporary folder in Explorer (My Computer). Copy the .hdf from the UPD into the folder and rename it x.hdf. Unzip the .zip into the folder and rename it y.hdf.

3. Back in the command terminal again:
    Code:
    fc /b x.hdf y.hdf

4. Clean up:
    Code:
    del *.*
    cd ..
    rmdir temp
    exit
Here's my session:
Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Black Hole>mkdir temp

C:\Users\Black Hole>cd temp

C:\Users\Black Hole\temp>dir
 Volume in drive C is OS
 Volume Serial Number is 405D-3201

Directory of C:\Users\Black Hole\temp

24/11/2021  10:34    <DIR>          .
24/11/2021  10:34    <DIR>          ..
19/11/2021  19:22        18,984,024 x.hdf
19/11/2021  19:22        18,984,024 y.hdf
               2 File(s)     37,968,048 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  37,447,548,928 bytes free

C:\Users\Black Hole\temp>fc /b x.hdf y.hdf
Comparing files x.hdf and Y.HDF
FC: no differences encountered

C:\Users\Black Hole\temp>del *.*
C:\Users\Black Hole\temp\*.*, Are you sure (Y/N)? y

C:\Users\Black Hole\temp>cd ..

C:\Users\Black Hole>rmdir temp

C:\Users\Black Hole>exit

Alternatively, just run SHA1 on both the downloaded (and unzipped) .hdf and the .hdf from the UPD. Try here: https://emn178.github.io/online-tools/sha1_checksum.html

If the hashes are the same, the overwhelming likelihood is that the uploaded files are the same.
Hmm. Can I direct you to the assume v presume thread.

Alas, I ditched win doze years ago. I have an ole Linux laptop in the bottom of a drawer somewhere, or I have a chromebook, which also has Linux (or at least the chromebook version of it).

Sorry. Perhaps I should have said that earlier. Pssst, Did I mention I am not tech savvy🙂

I found something, or rather google did called bindiff, but it looks too complicated.

I do have a solution though. You won't like it. As you have access to the file, you could download it, and see if its corrupt using the above binary Kompot method. Yes?

Hmmmm. Ok, and assuming that is easier done than said:

1. hdr_fox_t3_upgrade.hdf v hdr_10312_mod313a.zip
At the risk of stating the obvious; did you extract the upgrade from the zip file that you downloaded or just renamed it? It should be extracted.

Er - you may need to repeat the instructions but for a Chromebook/Chromebox
:dunno:You're on your own.

As you have access to the file, you could download it, and see if its corrupt using the above binary Kompot method. Yes?
That presumes I have access to an uncorrupt version. The best I could offer you is 3.13 + iplfix (nothing wrong in that), but I'm still trying to work out where the error has occurred so it doesn't happen again.

At the risk of stating the obvious; did you extract the upgrade from the zip file that you downloaded or just renamed it? It should be extracted.
Yes, and if I didn't make that clear earlier it's my fault.

Edit: I did.
The downloaded file should be hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf. If it is something.zip, you need to unzip it.

Back