Freesat G3 PVR

I'm presuming that they will continue to produce for some time.

The Arris box is likely to be more expensive even a year after launch. This could be due to not only being able to offer premium functionality but also potential some areas where manufacturing costs may increase.
See https://www.a516digital.com/2017/08/freesat-plans-third-generation-set-top.html
From the brief it is obvious that the box is very likely use wideband LNB to help achive its full functionality and speed. If it cannot also cope with traditional LNBs that could be off putting for some who would need to make the simple and relatively cheap change to their LNB.

I suspect that there will still be some who want the cheapest and for that there could well be room in the market for Humax's old HDR-1xxxaS units for some time.

Given that Freesat hold the licence for the EPG would Humax be in a position to carry on manufacture when they have lost the licence to Arris. I just don't know how this works but I assume that Humax have to have an agreement with Freesat to produce the boxes with the Freesat software.

Why would the licence be exclusive? That seems unlikely to me, and could be subject to scrutiny by the monopolies commission.

Why would the licence be exclusive? That seems unlikely to me, and could be subject to scrutiny by the monopolies commission.

I didn't claim the licence would be exclusive. However, as far as I understand it the EPG and freetime belong to Freesat so this would have to be subject of negotiation. I don't doubt Humax could develop their own EPG though again that would have to be with the agreement of the consortium that own Freesat. I'm not sure where the monopolies commission would come into this though.

Manhatten use a Freesat EPG which I assume they use under licence. The point here though is that Freesat have gone with another manufacturer for their G3 boxes. Will Humax want to continue making what will then be an obsolete system?

I didn't claim the licence would be exclusive.
This sounds like you did:
Given that Freesat hold the licence for the EPG would Humax be in a position to carry on manufacture when they have lost the licence to Arris.

I'm sorry, none of what you've said makes many sense to me. For example:
Will Humax want to continue making what will then be an obsolete system?
What makes the Humax system obsolete? Is there something in those articles which say the transmission system is changing? A TV with an analogue-only tuner is obsolete; a set-top box only able to receive DVB-T won't be obsolete until DVB-T is no longer transmitted (even though some services are DVB-T2).

I'm not sure where the monopolies commission would come into this though.
Businesses are not allowed to exclude other businesses from markets by not letting them have the ball.

This sounds like you did:

I'm sorry, none of what you've said makes many sense to me. For example:

What makes the Humax system obsolete? Is there something in those articles which say the transmission system is changing? A TV with an analogue-only tuner is obsolete; a set-top box only able to receive DVB-T won't be obsolete until DVB-T is no longer transmitted (even though some services are DVB-T2).

Businesses are not allowed to exclude other businesses from markets by not letting them have the ball.

They are and they have. Freesat has already excluded Humax from the G3 manufacture by awarding the contract to another company - it's called business. If Humax which to continue building a rival product of their own then they are free to do that. However, Freesat would only be required to provide the EPG subject of course to negotiation, but Arris are making the G3 boxes exclusively.

Back