Freeview a waste of time

Is there anyone else out there living in the CA14 area experiencing problems with Ch29 on the FoxT2?

To experiment, I recorded a few ITV4 programmes last evening and overnight, no problems at all.
Checked signal strengths at random times proved little or no variation. Quality 100% on all.
Ch 23 73%
Ch25 80%
Ch26 77%
Ch28 75%
Ch 29 71%
Ch30 68%
Not sure if this is any help at all, but as stated above, no problems with freeview from Caldbeck.

Hmm. That is a bit odd. Ch 30 is a 100kW tx so for that to be showing a lot lower than 29 (only a 50kW) seems off. And both are much lower than the rest, except 23 which is another 50kW job. I'd suspect your aerial may be a bit peaky or not optimum for the new frequency spreads in your area post-DSO. It might be worth trying a different aerial -maybe something wideband.

Hmm. That is a bit odd. Ch 30 is a 100kW tx so for that to be showing a lot lower than 29 (only a 50kW) seems off. And both are much lower than the rest, except 23 which is another 50kW job. I'd suspect your aerial may be a bit peaky or not optimum for the new frequency spreads in your area post-DSO. It might be worth trying a different aerial -maybe something wideband.

We are tied into a communal aerial (9 off), but I repeat, we have no problems whatsoever and our picture is great whether we use DVB or the Fox. But thanks for the thought. It's Dave that has a problem.

Nay bother. Had a check this morning just for interest's sake as the weather is definitely lakeland and all channels are up a couple of percentage points except 23 & 29 which are the same as post #23.

Hi All
Came across this, just wondering if this could be the cause as Ulster has gone to full power a short while ago??

The summer weather has brought tropospheric propagation, causing interference from transmitters hundreds of miles away. If that's your problem, the only possible remedy is to aim your aerial at a different transmitter (if there is one). An aerial aimed towards the Continent is more likely to pick up interference than one pointing north, east or west. A log-periodic aerial can often give better immunity to interference from the sides and rear than an ordinary "Yagi" aerial.
Although a bandpass filter might help, the chances are poor. If the interfering signal affects a multiplex, that's usually because it's using the same channel. Only rarely will a signal that is NOT sharing a multiplex frequency be so strong that it swamps your tuner or aerial signal amplifier. In this case, a filter might help and - very rarely - a variable attenuator might help. However, both will be most effective when fitted between the aerial and any amplifier (to prevent amplifier overload), which is not going to be easy to achieve in most installations.

Taken from SatCure Blog 180

Dave

Back