Freeview/Saorview issue.

notapom

Hi guys, I'm having a problem I can't solve. I'm wondering if there is a solution. I will be as detailed as I can.

So I have moved to a new area that picks up Freeview and Saorview.

After a retune I pick up the Freeview channels (I am now in a Freeview lite area so less channels) as well as the Saorview channels.

The Saorview channels are in the 800s and a mess, a lot of 'empty' channels too. I'm not sure on the terminology but channels with no name, when I select them, they say no signal.

I have tunefix installed from my previous location to move the HD channels from 101-105 to 1-5. After a reboot the HD channels move but the Saorview channels disappear and I have to scan for them again.

I added the Saorview channels to tunefix to organise them nicely in the 800s, hoping this would solve the issue, but it hasn't. They still disappear.

During a search on the forum, I read that people who pick up channels from different transmitters can't use the TV guide for the 'extra' channels until they view one of them. This if fine. I don't expect to record from them particularly, but it would be nice if I didn't do a rescan everyday or switch to my TV's built in Freeview to view Saorview.

I have semi solved the problem by telling the Humax to not auto power down, this stops the channels from disappearing. I'd like to be able to use tunefix to organise them and remove the 'empty' channels but in order for tunefix to do it's magic, a reboot is needed which removes the Saorview channels.

On my TV if I perform a scan but choose Ireland instead of UK, the Saorview channels go to their Irish channel numbers minus all the 'empty' channels and the Freeview channels go into channel 60+, this also is not ideal as I'd prefer the Freeview channels to have the 1,2,3 etc channel numbers but at least the channels are somewhat organised this way.

The Humax doesn't work like this does it? I only ever have the option to pick Wales after a scan has been performed, as if it knows my location whereas the TV gives me the option to choose my location before the scan and organises the channels accordingly.

Sorry if I have rabbited on, I'm trying to give as much information as possible.

Thanks
Notapom

Tunefix automatically removes things above 800. I could make it an option I guess.
You'll also need to run it without a Preferred Region set.

Tunefix automatically removes things above 800. I could make it an option I guess.
You'll also need to run it without a Preferred Region set.
Ahhh right I see, I'll try setting them to numbers below 800.

Also I just read that I should remove tunefix, rescan to get a new baseline and then install tunefix again to make any channel changes. I'll try this after if your suggestion above doesn't work but from what you said, it should. Fingers crossed.

When you say run it without a preferred region set, do you mean in tunefix?

The Freeview EPG wipes the Saorview EPG, and vice-versa.
OK, maybe not. Post 23:
My HDR receives a signal from Freeview (F) and Saorview (S).

I have noticed recently on one HDR that when it is switched on, not having being used that day (i.e. no recordings, no browsing of channels or media files), it has a full 6 Day EPG for both areas (F+S). Note on webif the EPG is only one region/area (S).

My preference would be to see the full EPG for both regions simultaneously! However as soon as a channel is changed the EPG from one region disappears.

I have noticed that it only happens when the box is not used for the whole day. AND strangely it only happens on one HDR, on the other HDR it has not happened yet.

I tried a few things and then realised that it only happened on the HDR that I had poweron installed. I had set poweron to CBEEBIES and realised that on the evenings that this happened I powered on the HDR when CBEEBIES had stopped transmitting for the evening.

To test this I installed Poweron on the other box, set it to poweron to CBEEBIES. I left it to power off on a Saorview Channel with only the Saorview EPG on the HDR. That night when I came back I switched on both HDRS and both had almost 6 days EPG displayed for both regions.

What was even more surprising was that when I went in to guide>find and searched by keyword I was able to search both EPG regions. Even pressing the recording options on both regions offered me to record the program only or the series.

This doesn’t happen to the EPGS during the day. I wonder is the difference that during the day the signal is carrying the EPG in the broadcast stream where as at night when the box is ‘powered on’ to CBEEBIES there is no EPG broadcast so the EPG on the Humax is not altered from startup.

I realise this situation is different to multi-region but I also wonder if this is reproducible on a box receiving two Freeview regions ?

I suspect the Humax software uses an in-memory copy of the data and just dumps it periodically so that it can reload it at startup in order that the guide works straight away.

It would seem that the EPG is sorted and stored ready for startup but this time the Hummy did not know which data/region to display so it displayed all the stored data.

One question from this is what is the different when the box powers up onto a channel like CBEEBIES in the evening that has stopped transmitting?

I waited for over 15 minutes and can confirm that the EPG was not updated and the Data from both regions was still present. I then, without changing a channel, played a stored media file and the Saorview EPG disappeared on the Hummy. Both EPGs still appeared on webif, but it normally takes webif 15 minutes or so to change to the active region. About 15 minutes after the media file was played webif is now only showing the Freeview EPG also suggesting an EPG update may have occurred.

Another question this raises does playing a media file also trigger EPG update similar to changing channel?

So I'm convinced all the data is there, the Humax just seems capable of displaying the on-screen EPG from only one transmitter at a time.

I would agree. Yes all the data is there. But the humax is capable of displaying the on-screen EPG from both transmitters, albeit only under certain conditions!!! It even allows EPG searches from the two regions.

I accept that conflicts over AR flags and current/now next information mean that the box should only ‘tune’ to one transmitter at a time but what about having both EPGs simultaneously?

OK, maybe not. Post 23:
I was just reading this comment. I have had no luck recording from both platforms. As others have stated, a recording only worked if the Humax is on the platform you are trying to record from but reading this, It seems it is possible to record from both.

I will have a more in depth read of both of the threads you have suggested and have a little play around with some recordings.

This morning i couldn't even keep the Irish channels in the EPG, let alone make simultaneous recording from both countries so I have new hope now! It would be amazing if if could manage it. Saorview has sport as well as other shows not available on Freeview.

You should note there is considerable water under the bridge since then, in particular updates to firmware, which I think improved the ability of the EPG to keep refreshed... but it will still go stale if the user doesn't change channel often enough!

Back