Freeview via the internet

NJames

Hi,
we’ve just got a Humax box that we love, but we’re having some problems with the quality of the Freeview aerial feed. Even with a lot of faffing about and purchasing/moving various aerials, some of the channels, and hence the recording pixilate quite badly.

So, Freeview have an app that can pick up Freeview channels over the internet, with much more consistent quality. So the question is, can you connect up the Humax box so that it picks up its Freeview feed from the internet rather than from an aerial.

Any info gratefully received.

Even with a lot of faffing about and purchasing/moving various aerials, some of the channels, and hence the recording pixilate quite badly.
Which channels?
Do your neighbours, who use an aerial, have the same issue?

Freeview have an app that can pick up Freeview channels over the internet, with much more consistent quality.
I suspect what you are referring to is the freely app. The freely app can't currently perform, or help to perform, PVR functionality. It also only covers some of the channels which are carried by freeview and is only for watching channels.

can you connect up the Humax box so that it picks up its Freeview feed from the internet rather than from an aerial.
No. There is not a freeview feed available on the internet.
For a freeview PVR to do this is years away, if ever. When it is possibly it will also require different hardware than the HDR-4000T/5000T.
It wasn't very long ago that the BBC was being criticised for not yet having a road map for the BBC to be part of this. I'm personally not expecting what you are enquiring about to exist for good number of years.

Last edited:
TV apps/websites come and go. The major broadcasters only support streaming as catch-up (not live). I suspect third party sites have a tuner hooked up to a streamer illicitly. Your alternative is Sky/BT/Virgin, who would stomp on anyone else offering to supply similar without subscription.

Even with a lot of faffing about and purchasing/moving various aerials, some of the channels... pixilate quite badly.
Go to https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/detailed-transmitter-information, plug in your details, and see what your predicted coverage is. Assuming your prediction is not 'crap', "purchasing/moving aerials" might do no good at all if the source of your problem is actually water ingress into the co-ax (or just ancient decayed co-ax)... or simply the last link to the receiver being thin string.

As suggested by Luke above, compare your experience with local neighbours – if you have any.

Last edited:
Hi,
we’ve just got a Humax box that we love, but we’re having some problems with the quality of the Freeview aerial feed. Even with a lot of faffing about and purchasing/moving various aerials, some of the channels, and hence the recording pixilate quite badly.

So, Freeview have an app that can pick up Freeview channels over the internet, with much more consistent quality. So the question is, can you connect up the Humax box so that it picks up its Freeview feed from the internet rather than from an aerial.

Which Humax box have you just bought?

If you take the aerial out from the Humax and plug it directly in to the TV is the picture pixellated.

Put the aerial back in the Humax and the aerial loop back into the TV.
Now check the Signal Strength through the Settings on the Humax, try it over several channels.
If you get a Signal Strength of 100% this could be the problem, too strong a signal can cause pixellation and drop outs.
Ideal Signal Strength should be between 75%- 95%.
The answer to that would be to buy a variable attenuator, can be bought cheap on Amazon.
You would use the attenuator to turn the Signal Strength down.
Picture Quality at 100% is perfect.

Also make sure that the HDMI cable does not touch the aerial cable in any way as this can cause interference to the signal.

When setting up the Humax did you use the Auto Tune function, if so this can cause the box to tune in to one or more transmitters
that may be broadcasting in your area. This can lead to duplicate channels, check in the 800s of the programme guide to see if there are duplicate channels.
If you do have duplicate channels then the weaker signals may have been allocated to the lowered numbered areas of the programme guide.

To make sure you are tune in to the nearest transmitter or the best with line of sight to your aerial you can perform manual search using the multiplex numbers for that transmitter only.

To find out which transmitters are broadcasting in your are click on the link below and enter your postcode and house number.

On the next page you will see a table titled Digital Transmitters.
This shows you the transmitters broadcasting in your area with the 'most likely' on top.
If you have good line of sight to that 'most likely' transmitter then use that one or if not select one of the others which you have line of sight to.
Once you have selected which transmitter you want to tune to make a note of the multiplex (mux) numbers the transmitter is broadcasting on.
The mux numbers are under the white N in the black circle.
Pay special attention to the mux number under BBC B, this is the mux that carries all the HD channels/ programmes.
Now you have noted the mux numbers and the HD mux number you are ready to manually tune your Humax.

First take the aerial out of the Humax. Go to Auto Channel Search and start the search, this will clear the Humax ready for the manual tune.

Once that has done insert the aerial.
Go to Manual Search.
Tune the SD (standard definition) channels. first.
Enter the first of the mux numbers, make sure Transmission is set to DVB-T.
Press Search.
When done press Save.
Do this for all the SD muxes.
For the HD channels enter the mux number but change Transmission to DVB-T2.
Press Search and when done press Save.
Having done that you can now check if manually tuning the box has helped resolve the pixellation issues.

If not you may have to select another transmitter and re do the above steps.

Are you using an external aerial or an indoor?

Which Humax box have you just bought?
Are you using an external aerial or an indoor?

... some problems with the quality of the Freeview aerial feed. Even with a lot of faffing about and purchasing/moving various aerials, some of the channels, and hence the recording pixilate quite badly.
It'll be useful to know which model you have.
I guess you may be using an indoor aerial. If so I don't know what will help as I've not had much luck with indoor aerials.
Being a Freeview play model, I suppose you'll have the normal catch up services available if you don't use the aerial.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks so much for all the great info. I’ll go away and try all the suggestions out. For the record, it’s currently an internal aerial and, although we are close to Crystal Palace, the aerial is currently on the wrong side of the house and on the ground floor.

Thanks so much for all the great info. I’ll go away and try all the suggestions out. For the record, it’s currently an internal aerial and, although we are close to Crystal Palace, the aerial is currently on the wrong side of the house and on the ground floor.
Just to let you know I use an indoor aerial which feeds a Humax Aura and then looped into a Humax 5000T and then looped to the TV, all devices get good signal strength and picture quality, occasional pixellation happens
not often enough to be too distracting. Because of my situation, a first floor flat in an old tenement the nearest transmitter to me is not in direct line of sight, so I am tuned to alternative transmitter which is approx 40 miles away, so there should be hope for you. Does your indoor aerial have an onboard signal amplifier?

.. For the record, it’s currently an internal aerial and, although we are close to Crystal Palace, the aerial is currently on the wrong side of the house and on the ground floor.

Get more info from @davey64 on how he gets good results from indoor aerial
That probably won't help. If you don't have enough signal then you need to get more.
Amplifying crap sometimes works but you will more likely need a better aerial and/or location.
It's physics. Scotty said it all :)

Back