Freeze/Crash while chase playing

I installed the wireless-helper package at the weekend, but it I still couldn't get past the initial maintenance mode stage.
I didn't have time to feth my long Cat5 cable out of the roof, but hope to try it later in the week.

Well I finally got round to doing plugging a CAT5 cable into my Humax to enable me to try fix-disk again and it worked like a charm. I'm a complete novice at this, but it did some kind of reallocation, so time will tell if I get any more freezes and/or clicks.
It would seem that although it will reboot into maintenance mode via my normal wireless connection it won't go any further than that, so I now know I will need to use CAT5 if I need to do it again.
I tried it again, on wireless, just to see and got the same result as before.
Thanks for all your help :)

wireless-helper package note added to the WiKi HERE
Wiki said:
Wi-Fi may not work in Maintenance mode, (the wireless-helper package may help), If it is not possible to telnet into the Maintenance mode use a wired LAN
...or HomePlugs.

It doesn't read very well. I suggest:
If you normally use a Wi-Fi USB dongle as your network connection from the HD- or HDR-FOX, this may not work in Maintenance Mode - if not, try installing the /wireless-helper/ package. If it is still not possible to obtain a Telnet connection by Wi-Fi, use a wired LAN (or other networking which connects through the Ethernet port - e.g. HomePlug).

Regrettably your tweaked version allows the possibility that somebody might misunderstand that you are referring to the link to the PC. That's why I deliberately used the word "from".

I don't remember changing "from" to "to". I just cut 'n' pasted it. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...

Ah, so you did edit it then? You could have said that last time, instead of blaming me. I revoke my decision to give you the benefit of the doubt now.
A PM under the circumstances would have been a better idea.

Fair enough, but I used the time stamp of your post to assess whether you may have picked up a draft version. I almost always edit my posts - for one thing I never know what the iOS autocorrect may have done to it ("its" frequently ends up as "it's" without me noticing), and for another I often think of an improvement when I read it back.

More options > Preview???
But then again, I frequently do that too. Just like this afterthought edit.

Back