Frequent break up's on recordings [SOLVED]

cabsandy

Hi all,
HDR-FOX T2 500GB running
Web interface version: 0.9.14-2
Custom firmware version: 2.11
Humax Version: 1.02.28

Lately, the wife has been complaining of breakup/pixelation/blocking/blanking/freezing of recordings. I've seen this as well, I've also seen it when a prog is being recorded (and we are watching it at the same time).Signal strength and quality look ok. The hard drive was getting a bit full, so I deleted a large amount of stuff, just in case of that.I had a look at the hard drive/CPU util sysmon app, but for some reason, the graphs wont appear (tried 3 browsers) so I don't know if the box is suffering.
Is there any way of running a similar thing to a defrag of the hard drive, or has anybody else got an ideas on this problem? It has only started in the last 4 weeks or so, until then the box, with the CF, has been flawless.

cheers
cabs

Is this happening on StDef or only HiDef? I am having problems with HiDef in particular.

If you see pixellation live it is most likely a signal problem - check it out on Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection, pick the relevant channel and watch the signal and quality bars for a while, see it'd they bounce around.

With regard to drive problems, there is no defrag process for an Ext3 drive (the internal format of the HDR-FOX. The best you would be able to do is save off everything you want to keep then reformat the drive. There are several other open topics along a similar theme:

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/pixelation-when-recording-and-playback-at-the-same-time.2488/
http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/pixelation-when-recording-hd.1028/

I've been seeing blank screens followed by "This channel is unavailable or encrypted". This clears after a couple of seconds and goes back to normal. It only seems to happen on BBC1HD and started a few months ago. It happens more often when the box is busy, e.g. recording 2 HD streams and watching one on chase play. Signal is 65%-70% with quality 100% and steady. I've tried a reformat without result. It feels as if the box is not keeping up with the simultaneous hard disk accesses.

Hi all,
HDR-FOX T2 500GB running
Web interface version: 0.9.14-2
Custom firmware version: 2.11
Humax Version: 1.02.28

Lately, the wife has been complaining of breakup/pixelation/blocking/blanking/freezing of recordings. I've seen this as well, I've also seen it when a prog is being recorded (and we are watching it at the same time).Signal strength and quality look ok. The hard drive was getting a bit full, so I deleted a large amount of stuff, just in case of that.I had a look at the hard drive/CPU util sysmon app, but for some reason, the graphs wont appear (tried 3 browsers) so I don't know if the box is suffering.
Is there any way of running a similar thing to a defrag of the hard drive, or has anybody else got an ideas on this problem? It has only started in the last 4 weeks or so, until then the box, with the CF, has been flawless.

cheers
cabs
I had this problem with sysmon and af123 said if the sysmon database file had a bad sector it would retry a few times and stop all other functions on the HDR from running while doing it. If I uninstalled the sysmon app the break up stopped. I solved this by renaming the sysmon database file and then reinstalling it. It made a new database file in a different location as the renamed one was using the corrupt part of the disc. I then tried to copy the renamed file and it came up with an error, confirming it had a bad sector. The breakup stopped afterwards and sysmon now shows data again.

I had this problem with sysmon and af123 said if the sysmon database file had a bad sector it would retry a few times and stop all other functions on the HDR from running while doing it. If I uninstalled the sysmon app the break up stopped. I solved this by renaming the sysmon database file and then reinstalling it. It made a new database file in a different location as the renamed one was using the corrupt part of the disc. I then tried to copy the renamed file and it came up with an error, confirming it had a bad sector. The breakup stopped afterwards and sysmon now shows data again.

Ahh David,
I was thinking about the connection with sysmon as well-I was wondering if I remove this, if things would go back to normal? For the others on the thread, sorry for the delay in responding, been out and about. Signal wise, getting 82% and 100% respectively, with no real variance-this is on HD and SD channels. So the input looks ok?
We watched X-factor live last night, and my story changes a bit here, so sorry for any confusion...Watching it live, we saw no break up-but then go back to the recording after the live show has finished, and the break up is evident.The break up's seems to happen on most, if not all, recordings.I also copied across the file to my iPad, and the breaks-ups can be seen on that as well, at the same points if viewing it on the HDR.So the file is definetly corrupted, and I'm guessing this is happening when it is being written to disk.
Will report back.

cabs

Sysmon removed and HDR power cycled.I'm confident as logging into the webif is a lot quicker and snappier than before.Was very sluggish.Time will tell!! ;-)

cabs

Anything below 70% is a problem.
The quality is the important bit not the level. If the level is 50% and the quality is 100% everything should be fine. If the level is 80% but the quality is say 95% because of lots of bouncing of the signal causing it to arrive at different times you could get problems. The picture will break up when the cause of the bouncing moves about changing the phase of the incoming signal. The digital signal is very robust and in theory should cope with this most of the time.

Hi chaps-all has been well since removing the Sysmon package.No break-up's and wife is happy.Can an admin put SOLVED in the thread header please?

cheers

cabs

I also removed sysmon, and stopped all my decryptions etc, to monitor the situation. I don't have enough HiDef evidence to conclude yet, but it is looking good...

Back