Frequent reboots despite following advice - any suggestions?

Hi,

I would appreciate any advice out there if there are any other ways to fix my HDR FOX T2. It has been great for me and I hate the idea of not having it around. I'm just not seeing any good replacement options out there but fear it is end of the line. Feels devastating right now.

At the time the issues started I was still on customised firmware 3.10. I'd never has reason to look for further updates. The significant packages in the Web-if (e.g. Fix-Disk) were up to date. The web-if itself is a slighlty older version but I don't see this being a factor.

The first thing I noticed was recording on ITV4 played but didn't fast forward properly. I assumed the hard drive was having issues as it was getting older. In due course trying to FF the recordings caused a reboot. No other recordings had that issue just the ITV4 ones (which I never normally use but the rugby has been on). I resolved to run Fix-Disk when time allowed.

Since then I have been getting frequent reboots. The Web-If doesn't report a crash, the box just reboots and sometimes twice in a row before resettling. It at first seemed to be linked to recording but is now at any time, live TV, playback or recording. Between reboots it is flawless but the reboots cause recording to stop as if power was interrupted when it was not. It is making the box unusable as recordings rarely complete.

I have worked through BH's advice here: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/steps-for-resolving-hdr-fox-crash-reboot-issues.5320/

The drive is not hot and runs even cooler since I turned the fan package up to be sure. It never goes past 46C. Fix-Disk reports no errors and the problem carries on despite running this. Isolating the box from my network (unplugged connection) and turning off content share as well hasn't helped. I have updated to CF 3.13 and this has made no difference. After doing that I have then reset to factory default - still no impact.

I'm assuming right now that something internal has failed/is failing in the box but I have no skills in that area. I have a spare pipeline so may drop that in just to see but the drive I have doesn't seem to be the issue.

Thoughts appreciated. I could really do with keeping this box alive, even though it is lightly used now I am properly Smart TV connected. The pause live TV option and other things the hummy offers just can't be got via a Smart TV. If they still sold FOX T2s (or anything else as good) it wouldn't be so important!

That does sound abnormal, and if it's any consolation one of my units is suffering from frequent hangs.

I have updated to CF 3.13 and this has made no difference.
I don't expect it would. There is no compulsion to update, but had you tried to use one of the more recent packages you could have found the necessary underpinnings not present. One major benefit is better fixdisk.

Good second hand units are still around, take a punt.

Do you have any dlna servers anywhere on your home network?
Install the dlna-filter package to prevent them causing the humax to crash, cant hurt even if you don't think you do.

Upgrading to the latest CF and webif level is wort while 3.10 is many years old,

So next time I have chance I'm going to rerun Fix-disk now I'm on 3.13 but I'm not expecting a miracle from it. No point not retrying though.

In terms of second hand units, anywhere you suggest I look other than the obvious e.g. eBay?

I'd buy an Aura with them back in stock but they sound terrible!

I'd buy an Aura with them back in stock but they sound terrible!
They aren't terrible but they are a long way from perfect because Humax pulled the plug on the Aura software development too soon. I use an Aura in preference to an HDR-FOX T2 because the subtitles work properly, it has three tuners, it records pretty reliably, the box responds quickly to the remote and it has the players for the major catchup channels. There are irritating glitches such as sometimes (maybe once a week for me) an attempt to skip forward will result in it going backwards, an occasional case where the screen goes blank (maybe twice a month) which sometimes can be fixed by simply changing channel and going back to the problematic channel or stopping playing a recording and restarting or restarting the Humax application but in extreme cases it needs a power cycle to fix.

The Manhattan T4-R looks as though it will have similar specifications but the launch date keeps slipping back and Manhattan are not saying how many tuners it will have.

Very useful Martin thanks. You don't make it sound as scary as others who say it is unusable.
I think the people who are really unhappy are those who watch a lot of streamed content and/or want to add additional apps (which to be fair was a big selling point for the box). I use streaming a bit but my main usage is simply as a PVR and whilst it certainly isn't perfect it is usable in this role. The only apps I have added are VLC and a file manager which haven't given me any problems.

They aren't terrible but they are a long way from perfect because Humax pulled the plug on the Aura software development too soon. I use an Aura in preference to an HDR-FOX T2 because the subtitles work properly, it has three tuners, it records pretty reliably, the box responds quickly to the remote and it has the players for the major catchup channels. There are irritating glitches such as sometimes (maybe once a week for me) an attempt to skip forward will result in it going backwards, an occasional case where the screen goes blank (maybe twice a month) which sometimes can be fixed by simply changing channel and going back to the problematic channel or stopping playing a recording and restarting or restarting the Humax application but in extreme cases it needs a power cycle to fix.

The Manhattan T4-R looks as though it will have similar specifications but the launch date keeps slipping back and Manhattan are not saying how many tuners it will have.
I too am happy with my Aura. I have had the same issue with skipping forward black screen but it only happens if you hit skip too quickly, if you allow a second between hits it works fine. I love that you can simply retune without the loss of your favourite listings and the extra tuner but I do miss the stepped slo-mo and frame advance of my T2. I don't do much streaming but having easy access to catch up on something you missed when OTA has been very handy.

Back