from.. Nicesplice Magic Folders

I'm re-posting the ORIGINAL post #63, (after this statement), that was removed without my say-so.

It did not contravene ANY rules nor was rude nor offensive!

It HAS A VALID POINT AND WAS SUPPORTED BY ANOTHER MEMBER - however for you sensitive flowers out there, i will edit it so as "not to damaged your petals".

Anyone wishing to "ignore" my posts is welcome to... but as I have authored a significant proportion of the reference material on this forum, over 10% of the posts, and even quotes from my posts will become invisible if ignored, this would lose access to important details and make threads difficult to follow.

On the other hand, my equilibrium will no doubt improve enormously if I click "ignore" on Stardust.
chin up 'black hole' you're just being served the dish you've been feeding everyone else for the last 8 years, LOL

@MartinLiddle
can we have a 'thumbs down' button (dislike) please. seems unfair to only have a thumbs up (like) button......?

after all we are now living in a politically correct world, with social equalness !

GENUINE QUESTION: i'm serious about this, we should be able to dislike stupid posts. how much effort would be required Martin? thanks

Changing the word does not alter the intended jibe and I am far from a delicate flower.
I believe (and I do not wish to patronise) that even though you may have been reading and collating information for eight years, you only joined the forum this morning (clicking on your name),and you will probably learn that inflammatory posts will get you nowhere.
As for the request to be a new " balanced" moderator, well for once, words fail me!

I'm re-posting the ORIGINAL post #63, (after this statement), that was removed without my say-so.

It did not contravene ANY rules nor was rude nor offensive!
Nothing has been removed. The off-topic posts have been moved here to try and keep the original thread on topic, they are preserved and discussion can continue if it must.

I've been trying to manage this without posting publicly (many of you will have received direct messages from me), however we need a sense of perspective.

Leaving all of the "and another thing!"s aside, please read again the original post from Black Hole that started this whole thing
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hacking-the-on-board-encryption-chip.8217/post-130887
and Stardust's reply to that
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hacking-the-on-board-encryption-chip.8217/post-130893

Unless there is other context of which I'm unaware, the response seems like a massive overreaction to an admittedly somewhat dismissive post.

It's a shame that this then spiralled off into the rest of this thread, preventing any serious discussion on the merits or otherwise of supporting users who primarily (or only) use the remote control to manage the box. There are some pertinent comments in the thread which is why I have moved these ones out of the way and over to here.

How come it's two newbies that are getting offended. Are they both bleeding snowflakes or something.
FFS leave it out.

Nothing has been removed. The off-topic posts have been moved here to try and keep the original thread on topic, they are preserved and discussion can continue if it must.
Sorry @af123 i hadn't realised you moved it - it just disappeared, so naturally assumed it had been deleted because "i'm another one of those lousy, low life, non-contributing, scum-bag, and younger new members" (which over the last couple of days has pretty much been the view from the "seniors" on here - with some exceptions from decent members of course!) - so i stand corrected with a smile :)

I don't think some of these old fellas can take banter!

Leaving all of the "and another thing!"s aside, please read again the original post from Black Hole that started this whole thing
I did read it before and again just now for clarity, and here's what he said....
Do you honestly think that wouldn't have been looked into? You may be new here, but the HDR-FOX hit the streets in 2010 and this forum (or its precursor) has been around almost as long.
@af123 was that a fair and positive response to a very legitimate question from a new member who was only trying to help?

....Come on be objective 'af' - why can BH get away with non-contributive stuff like that, then, and over the past 8 years - but new members can't? - When we do give him a taste of his own medicine, you vilify us! - it's double standards - which is why i cheekily suggested for someone like me (or another equally younger new member) a chance at being a moderator, so we can moderate him, and other negative like minded members' content, and pull them up on it. I'm sorry to say, but the balance is all wrong on this forum.

Some of the "seniors" (not necessarily in age but length of service/contribution) think they can get away with writing crap, and some (but not all) are showing favouritism towards their fellow piers, especially Black Hole, just because he's been around for so long, and/or contributed so much content. When it comes down to it, is that really the deciding factor here? - that you don't want BH and the gang to leave this forum?

Look at the way he shouted down one of our female members on here - it's disgusting!

Think about the future, the new members will eventually take up the slack BUT with positive reinforcement NOT direct criticism to make them feel worthless, and not contribute ever again, then subsequently leave!

I think Martin said it best in his post with @Stardust - (WHICH SPEAKS VOLUMES).... and look at the response back....
....i'm afraid to say i'm a back seat driver when it comes to actual programming i'm afraid. I know it's not the news you guy's wanted to hear but i hope to contribute in other ways if possible
There are lots of members who make valuable contributions to the Forum without ever writing a line of code. Suggesting new requirements or pointing out things that are awkward to do or reporting bugs or just asking for advice on the best way to accomplish a task. Any Forum like this needs a mix of developers, people with technical skills and users to flourish.
Ah, you're too kind - THANKYOU :)

CAN I SUGGEST WE ALL WRITE POSITIVE CONTRIBUTIONS else WRITE NOTHING!!!

I've said my peace, now it's down to you, and the senior moderators to be tougher on those who don't value our opinions or suggestions, and cut us new members some slack, yeah?

@af123
@MartinLiddle
Lastly, are you guys going to take seriously a thumbs down, dislike button, request or not? So we can help you moderate the negative, put down comments, when you guy's aren't around all the time.

Please consider it - thank you

It's a shame that this then spiralled off into the rest of this thread, preventing any serious discussion on the merits or otherwise of supporting users who primarily (or only) use the remote control to manage the box. There are some pertinent comments in the thread which is why I have moved these ones out of the way and over to here.
Agreed!

How come it's two newbies that are getting offended. Are they both bleeding snowflakes or something.
cc: @af123
No, and that's the issue. As soon as WE say something back, then we get chastised! - it's the double standards that are an issue. It's a question of balance. Members like BH have all the power, and we have none - even though we are trying to make a positive contribution for all, especially in my case: "non web-if users" who prefer to use their remote control to perform CF features.

We can't give you the 8 years or so of contribution in one day! - give us a chance please, we will get there

you only joined the forum this morning
@RobH1
With respect, so bloody what!

Length of service has nothing to do with anything. That view point is very snobbish - we all have to start somewhere, and it's negative comments like that, that give 'some' senior and well-known members a bad reputation!

Play nice and write nice

No, and that's the issue. As soon as WE say something back, then we get chastised! - it's the double standards that are an issue.
BH might have been a bit condescending (he often is, and the 'old timers' have got used to his foibles) But he is not BLOODY RUDE with highly personal attacks like some of the recent posts here.
Please note that I have not directed this comment at any particular member.
And how is it that there seems to have developed the totally unnecessary posting @people? Most contributors here, I suspect, read all the posts anyway and don't need pinging with alerts to bring their attention to a specific post.

i cheekily suggested for someone like me (or another equally younger new member) a chance at being a moderator, so we can moderate him, and other negative like minded members' content, and pull them up on it. I'm sorry to say, but the balance is all wrong on this forum.
In your arrogant opinion. If you don't like it, go somewhere else. You will never be a moderator with that attitude as you just want to use it to push your own views and censor those of others.
I've said my peace
Maybe you should have paid more attention at school.
the senior moderators to be tougher on those who don't value our opinions or suggestions, and cut us new members some slack
Moderators aren't there to make sure you are listened to. Your comments will probably be considered on merit. You won't get what you want by bombarding people. The shutters will just come down. You'll get ignored (and there's nothing you can do about it).
Lastly, are you guys going to take seriously a thumbs down, dislike button, request or not?
It was discussed during the last forum upgrade process, and decided against. You just want to use it as a bullying tool.
We can't give you the 8 years or so of contribution in one day! - give us a chance please, we will get there
Where have you all suddenly come from? That's what I'm asking myself. And why? For a box that's been out of production for quite a few years. And you kids don't watch telly anyway. You just do things on your phones. It all smacks of some other agenda trying to be pushed.
Length of service has nothing to do with anything
But it does. You really expect to change things on day 1? The absolute arrogance of youth. If you wanna rule the roost, go start your own forum.

Its quite obviously a butthurt member using a sock account or even more than one to bolster his little hissy fit. @Mclaren Make you a mod? really? sorry but there is no more need here for a whingeing power hungry gobs**** than there is for a muzzle for BH. Yes BH can be an AH but he more than offsets that carbon footprint by assisting others, maybe you would feel more at home with the Bronies on a My Little Pony site if the nasty man has upset you so much with his bluntness here but he is without doubt an asset whilst you are not.

@RobH1
With respect, so bloody what!

Length of service has nothing to do with anything. That view point is very snobbish - we all have to start somewhere, and it's negative comments like that, that give 'some' senior and well-known members a bad reputation!

Play nice and write nice

As I said earlier, wading in with boots on as a new member (your admission to watching the forums for eight years has no bearing), will get you nowhere as you will eventually discover. The thread will probably be closed if there are too many vitriolic posts.

Your posts, together with the other two members indicate (to me anyway) that you have some kind of agenda as referred to by prpr.)

You say to me "play nice and write nice" and you had the gall to criticise BH for bad grammar. I suggest you re-read some of your posts, which with unnecessarily capitalized letters and many other mistakes so beloved by us pedants, makes for difficult reading. " Write nice?" Pot/kettle!

It shouldn't be possible to offsets your carbon footprint on this or any other forum, Jimmy Savile was widely praised for his charity work, he has also been reported to be multiple rapist and sex offender, Michel Jackson was a very popular entertainer, he has also been reported to be a kiddie fiddler, does the good offset the bad?, each post should be judged on a standalone basis, with no member having "money in the bank". Anyone wishing to complain about a post can do so by clicking on the Report box in the bottom left hand corner of each post and if that isn't opening myself up to abuse I don't know what is

It shouldn't be possible to offsets your carbon footprint on this or any other forum, Jimmy Savile was widely praised for his charity work, he has also been reported to be multiple rapist and sex offender, Michel Jackson was a very popular entertainer, he has also been reported to be a kiddie fiddler, does the good offset the bad?, each post should be judged on a standalone basis, with no member having "money in the bank". Anyone wishing to complain about a post can do so by clicking on the Report box in the bottom left hand corner of each post and if that isn't opening myself up to abuse I don't know what is

Personally I find holier than thou types far more offensive than the acid tongue of BH but I would never expect them to be forced to change. We all have the option to ignore but none of us have the right to expect others to fit in the little boxes of acceptability we selfishly create for them even though they have broken no rule of law.
PS I cannot wait to see BH's response to being likened to Saville and Jackson , at least Hitler didn't get a mention :)

Back