from.. Nicesplice Magic Folders

each post should be judged on a standalone basis, with no member having "money in the bank".
I have been moderating an international technical mailing list for nearly twenty years and my belief is that you do cut the people with the most technical input a bit more slack than the rest (sometimes through very gritted teeth). If you don't then the technical quality of the discussion can deteriorate very quickly.

I have been moderating an international technical mailing list for nearly twenty years and my belief is that you do cut the people with the most technical input a bit more slack than the rest (sometimes through very gritted teeth). If you don't then the technical quality of the discussion can deteriorate very quickly.
You have to balance giving 'a bit more slack', with the inevitable replies that will follow from users complaining that they have been insulted, which leads to yet another prolonged slanging match, I agree new users are more likely to complain but no users should have to 'just get used to it'

You have to balance giving 'a bit more slack', with the inevitable replies that will follow from users complaining that they have been insulted, which leads to yet another prolonged slanging match, I agree new users are more likely to complain but no users should have to 'just get used to it'
If users complain that they have been insulted I will consider whether I think they have been insulted; if I don't think they have been insulted then yes they have to get used to it. Other moderators and other forums are available. In the recent case that this thread relates to, I don't think the new user was insulted but they were talked down to in a way I personally would try to avoid.

my belief is that you do cut the people with the most technical input a bit more slack than the rest (sometimes through very gritted teeth). If you don't then the technical quality of the discussion can deteriorate very quickly.
I'm sure you're right. I don't have moderating experience - but I've experienced something similar in the operation of international conferences. A rather brusk American would take over a session or interrupt the Q&A session (but not the presentations). He was cut a lot of slack, despite comments such as "shut up [name deleted] we want to finish and go for coffee". The reason being, he was probably the most experienced researcher in his field. People respected his intelligence but not his personality. Had he been excluded the conference would not have been as useful.
FWIW I think the judgement that the new user was not insulted is correct. I'm not even sure they were talked down to in the original post (the one linked to by af123).

O.K. insulted was an example, Iet us say badly treated in some way, I don't personally like the way new users to forums say things such as "Please be gentle with me", but I'm guessing it is an attempt to avoid being badly treated in some way

O.K. insulted was an example, Iet us say badly treated in some way, I don't personally like the way new users to forums say things such as "Please be gentle with me", but I'm guessing it is an attempt to avoid being badly treated in some way
I go out of my way to try and encourage new users because I believe that the art of using a forum or mailing list has to be learnt. The fundamental principle is the need to ask intelligent questions giving as much detail and context for anybody who is considering an answer to be able to offer a concise solution. Too many users ask questions which when broken down amount to little more than "my box is broken, tell me how to fix it" and then the necessary detail has to be coaxed out, often morsel by morsel.

Back