FTP file and folder transfer to Humax HDR-FOX T2

KimofYorkley

I'm using a Windows 7 PC and Filezilla to transfer files to my Humax box. Filezilla connects just fine to the box and I'm able to transfer individual files from the PC to the Humax. However when I try to transfer whole folders with subfolders (in which there are files), all transfers fail. The messages from Filezilla are shown below. What I'm trying to do here is to transfer a music collection to the Humax so that it can act as a music server.
Anyone know what's going wrong?

Connecting to 192.168.1.40:21...
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Status: Starting upload of D:\My Music\Alison Krauss\A Hundred Miles or More- A Collection\Thumbs.db
Command: CWD /mnt/hd2/My Music/Alison Krauss/A Hundred Miles or More- A Collection
Error: Connection closed by server
Error: File transfer failed

If you install custom firmware, you can replace the standard (crippled) Humax FTP server with a less restrictive one. I'm not saying that's the problem, but you might have more success.

If you install custom firmware, you can replace the standard (crippled) Humax FTP server with a less restrictive one. I'm not saying that's the problem, but you might have more success.
That's certainly worth trying but it would still be good to know what's going wrong with the standard ftp server. I just want to eliminate the possibility that I'm doing something wrong..

I know what's wrong. You're doing nothing wrong:
https://forum.filezilla-project.org/viewtopic.php?t=32729
https://forum.filezilla-project.org/viewtopic.php?t=32729

Basically, what (as I read it) Filezilla does when uploading is it tries to upload the files into the appropriate directory. If the FTP server rejects it with an error 'no such directory' then it ries to create the directory and then tries the upload again. The Humax server doesn't return an error... instead it disconnects the session!

Does anyone know if the alternative server (betaftp) in the package repo is better in this respect?

The Humax server doesn't return an error... instead it disconnects the session!
The FTP server process actually crashes. The default FTP server has lots of problems such as this and only supports a subset of FTP commands (such as no support for passive mode transfers). I'd always recommend replacing it with betaftp.

Thanks everyone for your help. I've installed the custom firmware including betaftp, and I now have Filezilla happily copying several thousand music tracks with all the artist and album folder structures on to the Humax box.:)

I hope you are happy with its ability to serve them after all that!

Last edited:
Back