FTP or Samba transfer leaves empty transport stream file container

Hadron Collider

I have looked through the forum, but couldn't find an answer to this one, hence the post...
I recently tried to FTP a file from my HDR-FOX T2 to my computer using Filezilla. In principle this worked fine, but I could not play the file. I tried this with a number of different files (HD decrypted and SD) to no avail. However, moving files via USB connection worked fine.
I then installed the custom firmware and tried the same thing with identical results. I also tried using the Samba package, but still could not play the files that had transferred wirelessly.
I looked into the .ts files with a program called MediaInfo.

Here is a screenshot of the wirelessly transferred file that would not play:
bad%20file.PNG

And here is a screenshot of the USB transferred file that would play:
good%20file.PNG

Has anyone experienced this problem before? I really would like the convenience of a wireless transfer, but have not been able to play anything so far. It seems as though the transport stream is empty. I have tried this on two different computers in the house as well.

This isn't a problem, this is how it works when transferring files off the Humax

If you just copy the files via Samba or FTP it does not decrypt the file, so you cannot play it on a PC for example and MediaInfo shows no data as per your first picture
For this method to work, you would have to manually decrypt the files using WebIf

If you copy via the USB, it automatically decrypts the file, so it will play on another device and MediaInfo shows as in picture 2

If you copy via the USB, it automatically decrypts the file, so it will play on another device and MediaInfo shows as in picture 2
This only works for SD recordings, HD will not decrypt via the USB port unless you have the modified software loaded and have the auto-unprotect package loaded. This kids the Humax into thinking HD recordings are SD recordings which it is allowed to decrypt when copying to a USB device.

I have looked through the forum, but couldn't find an answer to this one, hence the post...

It's spelt out in "Things Every..."

I then installed the custom firmware and tried the same thing with identical results.

Installing the CF provides a framework for further services, it doesn't do anything just like that. The WebIF media browser provides decrypt and decrypted download options for StDef recordings, ditto for HiDef recordings if you install the auto-unprotect package first (and give it time to catch up).

For more information see the Wiki HERE (click) and the forum HERE (click).

Post updated 24/08/12

This only works for SD recordings, HD will not decrypt via the USB port unless you have the modified software loaded and have the auto-unprotect package loaded. This kids the Humax into thinking HD recordings are SD recordings which it is allowed to decrypt when copying to a USB device.

Sorry, should have clarified my answer

I was looking at @Hadron Collider's second picture, which is a SD file, so I was answering for SD not HD

I must expand on my answer next time ;)

Thanks for all your very quick answers folks!
So, if I am to summarise what I understand has been said:
  • For SD files, you can only take recordings off the HDR-FOX T2 for archiving / safekeeping via USB
  • For HD content you must use the Foxy procedure or the Custom Firmware auto-unprotect package to remove encryption, and you still have to get the file off the Humax using USB
I had been using the Foxy utility for a few months successfully. I would flash the small file using FTP, but would then take the file off the Humax via USB. However, I recorded an HD file that was over 16GB and exceeded my ext3 formatted USB stick, hence the need to wirelessly transfer. I couldn't get this to work, so installed the Custom Firmware and tried the auto-unprotect and Samba to no avail.
I believe my misunderstanding was thinking that the files, once decrypted would transfer wirelessly off the Humax without issue. In fact, I thought this was something that was pointed out as a preferred option in the Foxy guide.
Can you confirm if this statement is indeed correct? I would have thought the point of FTP and Samba (and the download option from the Custom Firmware) would be that you can retrieve files recorded by the Humax. If this is not the case, what is the use for these features (other than putting content on to the box)?
Once again, many thanks for you help thus far...

If you are using the Custom Firmware, have a look at the FLOW CHART in the WiKi, It shows all the steps that can be used to get decrypted files off the Humax

@Ezra Pound: thanks for that - makes sense. So you can FTP or Samba files off the Humax if you send them to a virtual drive first. I will try that out...

OK folks - the transfer to the virtual drive and then to my computer worked a treat. Thanks for all the help!

You can use the decrypt option from the Web-If and then FTP them directly from the hard disk, without using a Virtual disk. If this option is 'greyed-out', you proabably need to turn on Content Sharing, e.g. Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Settings >> Content Sharing = On

You can use the decrypt option from the Web-If and then FTP them directly from the hard disk, without using a Virtual disk. If this option is 'greyed-out', you proabably need to turn on Content Sharing, e.g. Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Settings >> Content Sharing = On
I just tried this and indeed my Content Sharing was turned off. However, I transferred a file (an SD one to keep the size down) and had the same result as originally - the file would not play. I have the auto-unprotect package installed, so I assume everything is already decrypted, unless I need to do it from the Web-If as well?

The FLOW CHART shows the symbols required at each stage e.g. Hi-Def must not have 'ENC' flag, this is removed by auto-unprotect. DLNA indexing DLNA-small.jpg is also required before decrypting can take place Files, You need the green DEC before you FTP

symbols.jpg

Back