Full access to USB drive connected to HDR

smoo

I've connected a USB drive to my HDR and thanks to samba I can see and play files on it over the network on my windows 8.1 pc.
However I can't write any files to the usb drive, which is a shame as I would then have a NAS drive on the cheap.
I suspect this might be a windows problem, please can anyone help or point me to a useful thread?

I've connected a USB drive to my HDR and thanks to samba I can see and play files on it over the network on my windows 8.1 pc.
However I can't write any files to the usb drive, which is a shame as I would then have a NAS drive on the cheap.
What format is the USB drive (FAT32, NTFS etc)?

As standard, the HDR-FOX firmware cannot write to NTFS. As you are using custom firmware, you need to add the ntfs-3g package to your mix to add NTFS write support.

See Things Every... (click) section 12.

(beaten to it)

The HDR-Fox T2 can only read NTFS, not write, you will need to install the Custom Firmware ntfs-3g package in order to write as well

Thanks everyone, NTFS3G installed and it seems I have write access now. It didn't work at first, maybe turning samba off and on did the trick.
I'm now transferring some files off the HDR to the usb drive, it seems a bit slow at 3.3MB/s.

If you are using your PC to carry out the transfer its bound to be slow.
You are effectively reading everything across the network into the PC and then pushing it back across the network so that the HDR can put it onto the USB.
You would be better using the HDR to transfer directly to the USB...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are using your PC to carry out the transfer its bound to be slow.
You are effectively reading everything across the network into the PC and then pushing it back across the network so that the HDR can put it onto the USB.
You would be better using the HDR to transfer directly to the USB...
I thought that what was happening. Still at least I can get full access to the usb drive now.
I might yet revert to my original plan of using a Raspberry Pi to make the usb drive into a nas drive.

Back