FVP-4000T/GB/1TB.

I don't believe it will last, things are seldom that easy.
Have faith, my Child, have faith. Do not be bewildered.

Doing what you have done has reduced the signal to the TV by at leat 4dB + the gain of the feed-through. So if the TV was on the cusp of too much signal, reducing it is a good thing. Can you get a sig strength and quality reading from your TV and your box and post them for posterity?

Have faith, my Child, have faith. Do not be bewildered.

Doing what you have done has reduced the signal to the TV by at leat 4dB + the gain of the feed-through. So if the TV was on the cusp of too much signal, reducing it is a good thing. Can you get a sig strength and quality reading from your TV and your box and post them for posterity?

Ah, Grasshopper, faith is the soporific of the masses whereas I speak from many decades of meditation and mental
enlightenment.

I accept that the signal has gone down by about half but - the problem was never present on the TV except when watching a live
programme through the Humax i.e. directly from the Humax and controlled by the Humax controller. Surely in this situation the feed
through (RF IN/RF OUT) gain, which as I understood it bypasses the Humax electronics and controller, would be immaterial?

I've not done a signal strength check, I will RTM and see what I can find.

Watch this space.

When you said watching the TV live, I assumed that you meant using the TV tuner fed by RFIN/RFOUT, whereas you meant using the Humax tuner and displaying the picture on the TV via the HDMI cable? If that is the case, you are correct and the problem is more mysterious in that the 'live picture' via Hummy tuner and HDMI was blocking but the recorded version was not?:frantic:
However, if you meant you were using the TV tuner, via the RFIN/RFOUT, then any gain in that circuitry would boost the signal to the TV's tuner as I suggested.

.... whereas you meant using the Humax tuner and displaying the picture on the TV via the HDMI cable? If that is the case, you are correct and the problem is more mysterious in that the 'live picture' via Hummy tuner and HDMI was blocking but the recorded version was not?:frantic:

Correct, that is what I meant, Trev. The TV has now been displaying without a glitch, whether fed by the direct aerial input or the Humax HDMI output
since I gave each device by its own, separate, aerial feed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible this was one of those weird ground-loop effects that has been solved by taking a different route?

Is it possible this was one of those weird ground-loop effects that has been solved by taking a different route?

It could well have been 'coupling' of one sort or another - in our household anything is possible.

All the original screened leads were fairly new and of good quality as our Sony TV is only a year or so old.
The new M-M patch lead which was quickly made up from an old M-F lead using a cheap DIY connector
which has been in my bits box for over 20 years is, by my definition, 'scrappy' but the new arrangement
seems to have done the job, so far.

Thanks, guys, for one of the quickest and best forums I have ever used. (I must now ascend Olympus
to ponder deeply on all the good advice I have received.)

Back