FVP 4000T turning itself on at odd times.

Barry

I have used two Humax Fox T2’s for around two years, and they worked very well for me, until one unit failed.

I then bought the FVP 4000T on the 20.10.2015.

I keep getting a problem with the FVP 4000T turning itself on when it should not be on.

Very often after it has recorded a set programme, instead of going back to standby it stays switched on, blue light showing.

I have reset both the remote control codes 3 times, but again after a few days turning on the Fox T2 also turns on the FVP 4000T

All I do now is keep a list of when the FVP 4000T should be on and turn it off with the remote when it should not be on.

Has anyone else found any of these problems?

I think you are describing two different problems here:-
1) the unit when recording from standby does not return to standby when recording has finished
2) After some days of working correctly, the unit responds to unexpected remote control commands

The two problems may well be linked however, first guess, faulty front panel unit, this unit controls waking / sleeping and remote control functions. This guess is based on how the HDR-Fox T2 operates, but may be applicable to the 4000T also

More likely there is a particular button or combination of buttons on the HDR-FOX handset codes that the 4000 sees as a power code. I wouldn't trust that Humax have considered the possibility that a user will have both in the same room.

Not really. He doesn't say that the HDR-FOX is misbehaving, so presumably the HDR-FOX is not seeing anything unusual. Equally, were it possible to do the same thing on the 4000, all you would be able to tell is that it had seen a power toggle code - the point of visibility is after the interpretation of the raw IR data has taken place.

Obviously I am only speculating, but one can imagine a poorly designed RC system working perfectly well in isolation, but when faced by data sequences from another system it spots one of its own codes in, say, the tail of another data sequence combined with the head of the next sequence - simply by having inadequate framing rules.

I doubt Humax design this stuff themselves, they just buy in a pair of chips (one for the handset, one for the receiver module) which handle all this stuff, and probably the cheapest ones they can find at the time. It is possible they don't actually design any of the electronics - the chip manufacturers provide "application notes" with example circuits and reference designs, and it is entirely possible to throw a system together from those. Most of the hardware design budget might have gone on the case!

In order to verify any of this speculation, we need reports of similar behaviour from other co-FOX/4000 owners. It should be repeatable.

My FVP 4000T 1TB replaced an HDR which is now in the bedroom so I cant compare directly, but I haven't experienced any issues like you describe.

My FVP-4000T has turned on a few times whilst using other remote controls, but I haven't worked out exactly which ones, or which key presses are causing it.

Not really. He doesn't say that the HDR-FOX is misbehaving . . .
The point of the exercise is not to find misbehaviour in the HDR-Fox T2, it is to identify the codes used by the HDR-Fox T2 and 4000T remotes in order to compare them, lets us say for example both of the codes below were controlling the 4000T:-
Code:
Real IR code: 0x000001 0xf10e1000 (e) [foreign=0]  . . . from HDR-Fox T2 Remote
Real IR code: 00000000 0x9966c2ea (66) [foreign=1] . . . from 4000T remote or in my case a NowTV remote

Last edited:
The point of the exorcise is not to find misbehaviour in the HDR-Fox T2, it is to identify the codes used by the HDR-Fox T2 and 4000T remotes in order to compare them
Exorcism would only work if the box was possessed by demons :)

Last edited:
Oh come on you guys, you didn't give BH a chance to point it out, you know how much he enjoys that sort of thing :)

The point of the exercise is not to find misbehaviour in the HDR-Fox T2, it is to identify the codes used by the HDR-Fox T2 and 4000T remotes in order to compare them, lets us say for example both of the codes below were controlling the 4000T:-
Code:
Real IR code: 0x000001 0xf10e1000 (e) [foreign=0]  . . . from HDR-Fox T2 Remote
Real IR code: 00000000 0x9966c2ea (66) [foreign=1] . . . from 4000T remote or in my case a NowTV remote
That's still the demodulated output. It tells us next to nothing about the actual transmission.

Hi, many thanks for your thoughts on this.
Yes I think I have two separate problems
I am not using Custom Firmware, the standard is ok for me, I do not want to make it more complicated.
I keep a list of when the FVP 4000T should be recording or switched on, so I can turn it off when it should not be on.
I do regret buying the FVP 4000T, but as the Fox T2 was very good, I had hoped for the same quality.

FVP-4000T box appears to respond to power on command from other Humax remotes even though they are set to a different mode. Try booting any other Humax kit using the zero button (A Freetime box requires 3 zeros, a HDR FOX T2 will work with a single zero but pressing zero twice more or less guarantees a boot). Not sure if pressing the power toggle to turn off another box can boot the FVP-4000T.

My FVP-4000T (using RC Mode 5) has just turned on when pressing the Media button on a HDR-FOX T2 remote control (using RC Mode 3).

One of my FOX T2 boxes with RC Mode 4 doesn't interfere with the FVP at all. ( all buttons tried )
The other FOX T2 I have does switch on/off the FVP using the power button. Not sure what mode it is set to though. No issue for me as it is in another room now.

Back