FVP-5000. How do I see the Mux ch number?

crvdale

Just struggling to retune after Freeview changes at the Mendip transmitter. BBC-B mux (BBC HD channels) is being received at 100% on ch 35 but no channels found. Did a full auto-tune but same problem. Did a factory reset and autotune and it's working! My question is how can I see which mux ch number the BBC HD programs are being received on? It should be 35 but the autotune may have found them on another channel. On my old FoxT2 it was easy!

...which doesn't really answer the question. As the OP hints: to find which UHF channel the HDR-FOX is actually receiving a particular service on, all you need to do is press "OK" then "Info" (or use WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Mux Info of course).

Thanks for the replies. It's actually an FVP-5000 (I mentioned it in the post title). The Fox is easy to find hence my reference to it. But the FVP remote lacks the useful 'info' button. I did find a way in the end. Bring up the channel list and press the red button but it only shows you the frequency not the channel. 586MHz is ch35 on the Mendip transmitter but what a round about way of finding out it.

It wasn't bloody meant to. I was merely illustrating the HDR-FOX operation that the OP wants an equivalent for on the FVP-5000, for those who don't know the HDR-FOX. Then, maybe, if anybody knew but hadn't realised the connection, they would be prompted to chip in an answer. Do I really have to spell this stuff out?

On the HDR-FOX: Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection defaults to the mux for the current service. Any good?

586.25 MHz is half way between the vision and sound carrier frequencies for analogue UHF TV on Ch35, so is presumably the centre frequency for the spread-spectrum DVB transmission.
It isn't. The analogue carriers were asymmetric (and you haven't included the NICAM carrier) in the channel - vision used vestigial sideband.
The centre of channel 35 is 586 MHz.
The 700 MHz clearance programme also seems to be doing away with the +/- 166 kHz offsets that some transmitters had.

See here: https://www.digitalspy.com/tech/terrestrial/a12613/uhf-channel-and-frequency-guide/

I am on holiday at the moment so can't check on my box but I think the answer for the FVP-5000T is Freeview button>Settings>Channel settings>Signal Test.

Correct displays following for current channel tuner 1 is using

Mux CHxx, Frequency kHz , Mux spacing MHz, Symbol rate, and presumably FEC xxK plus signal strength and quality as a percentage

eg 101 BBC 1 HD Lark Stoke Transmitter

CH30, 5466000kHz, 8MHz, 32k, 1/128

Note signal test only displays tuners in use. Unused tuners are powered off presumably to save energy. To see all 3 you need to force the box to use all 3 tuners by setting instant recordings across 3 mux, before using signal test.

Last edited:
I am on holiday at the moment so can't check on my box but I think the answer for the FVP-5000T is Freeview button>Settings>Channel settings>Signal Test.
As someone else said, the signal test just shows signal strength. A bit more technical info there would be useful.

As someone else said, the signal test just shows signal strength. A bit more technical info there would be useful.
As Graham Thompson has shown in the post above, it shows a lot more than signal strength and quality; what additional information would you like?

As Graham Thompson has shown in the post above, it shows a lot more than signal strength and quality; what additional information would you like?
Ah.... you're right it does show the channel number. I think my problem stems from the attempt to manually retune when it indicated ch35 was broadcasting but it wouldn't receive any stations - I don't know why. The signal test didn't then indicate the ch number. I ended up doing a factory reset to get it to work and then didn't go back to the signal test. Anyway, my question answered. Thanks!

Ah.... you're right it does show the channel number. I think my problem stems from the attempt to manually retune when it indicated ch35 was broadcasting but it wouldn't receive any stations - I don't know why. The signal test didn't then indicate the ch number. I ended up doing a factory reset to get it to work and then didn't go back to the signal test. Anyway, my question answered. Thanks!
If you go to the Manual Channel Search at Channel enter 35 then click down to Transmission, and as it is an HD channel/ mix you are looking foe change it to DVB-T2, you should now see the Strength and Quality of the signal. Now press Search and this should now pick up the TV stations available.

Back