Fvp-5000t losing series links

WOODY210363

Hi I have just purchased a Fvp-5000t to replace our Humax foxsat hdr which went down. Unfortunately the Fvp-5000t keeps losing series links. Also when we try to re-record the series it won't record unless we turn the box off at wall, which you obviously can't do if something is recording at the time.

Unfortunately the Fvp-5000t keeps losing series links.
Please explain what you mean by "losing". Step by step, what are you doing, what do you expect to happen, and what actually happens.

Also when we try to re-record the series it won't record unless we turn the box off at wall
"Re-record"? Do you mean set up a recording, try to start an instant recording, or what?

My immediate reaction is that the unit clearly isn't working properly and should be returned, but I can't work exactly what might be wrong with it which could produce the symptoms you describe. We therefore need to rule out operator error.

Fvp has a few bugs. One of which is:
You can't set up a series link from a live episode???? Bizarre but true
Just record that episode seperately and set up series from the next episode.

For example my Mrs will set up a series link on Coronation Street by accessing the TV guide clicking on Coronation Street then record whole series. It will record a a few shows then we realise that it's not recording the series any more.
So then we will try to record the series again but nothing happens when we click on record series. We then have to power off the machine at the wall, turn it back on and it will record again for a few shows and then we have to repeat the whole process again.
This is happening indiscriminately on most series that we try to record.

It will record a a few shows then we realise that it's not recording the series any more.
That's not unexplainable. Series recordings rely on a code being transmitted to identify the series, and sometimes the broadcasters cock that up. Not all the time though.

So then we will try to record the series again but nothing happens when we click on record series.
If the series is already set to be recorded, I would expect you to have to delete the existing entry first.

We then have to power off the machine at the wall, turn it back on and it will record again for a few shows and then we have to repeat the whole process again.
Weird. I can only think that HDD issues are causing this, but why is another matter.

So why haven't you returned the unit as faulty?

This is happening indiscriminately on most series that we try to record.
My experience of the FVP-5000T is that it is reasonably reliable at recording a series. The first thing I would check is that the Humax is tuned correctly because if you are receiving from more than one transmitter series links will fail in a way that matches your description. I would do a manual tune using the following instructions:

1.Go to:

https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/detailed-transmitter-information and input your postcode and house number; tick the box marked "Detailed view".. Look carefully at the information returned for each transmitter; don't blindly accept the recommendation for the most likely transmitter.

2.Having decided on a transmitter, note down the six or seven channel numbers for the mutiplexes (shown in the column headed N and on a darker grey background) and carefully mark which one of these channel numbers carries the HD Mux.

3. On the FVP Menu, Settings, Channel Settings.

4. Select Automatic search for channels and immediately stop it; save the results. This deletes all previously found channels.

5. Select Manual search. In the Channel field press right arrow, scroll up or down and select the first channel number from your list. In the Transmission field leave it on the default DVB-T for all channels except the HD channel; for the HD channel it must be changed to DVB-T2. Press Search. This should find a number of channel names. Save the results.

6. Repeat the manual search for each channel previously noted.

7. You will then need to re-enter your schedule of recordings.

So then we will try to record the series again but nothing happens when we click on record series. ....
Another bug where it often doesn't register when you click record series/cancel series but it does if you close and reopen
Another bug often doesn't show planned recordings in the recording planner

I agree with that, but how does it explain the unit apparently requiring a reboot?
The only think I can think of is that perhaps it is tuned to a channel from a transmitter other than the transmitter which was used to set the recording and rebooting sets it to a different channel.

For example my Mrs will set up a series link on Coronation Street by accessing the TV guide clicking on Coronation Street then record whole series. It will record a a few shows then we realise that it's not recording the series any more.
Can I just check here? When you say that you realise it's not recording the series, is this by finding episodes actually not recording or that the timer for a future episode is missing? I have frequently come across the latter, and can't schedule the recording because the series link is still active but not showing. On occasions where I've not taken any action I think it has actually recorded. Being suspicious, I usually cancel the existing series link and then add it again.

I cannot tell if it is relevant to this case, but don't forget that the SCHEDULE only shows the next episode to be recorded, but not subsequent episodes.

So if you had Pointless on Series Link for BBC1, it would show an episode at 1715 today, but not 1715 tomorrow. Tomorrow's will appear in the schedule after today's records.

The GUIDE, however, will show all the episodes within the 8 day EPG period.

If you click on the item of interest in schedule it should give a list of past and future recordings for that programme. If it isn't in the schedule then clicking on the item in the EPG should reveal the same information. I've come across cases where there are no red timer symbols on this screen but "Cancel whole series" is the only option. Sometimes this happens if the EPG is empty or there is no programme in the next week. On other occasions the next episode exists, the series link is set but the timer icon is missing. The question (apart from why) is will the next episode be recorded? Which brings me back to the earlier post.

Yes, there are certainly some very odd displays on the 5000T, but they do not necessarily mean that recording will not happen. It just looks that way at times.

I have noticed that at the start of a recording, the name sometimes disappears from the schedule but doesn't come up on the list of recordings for a short time, which can be a bit startling, but it usually sorts itself out.

Last edited:
Hi I have just purchased a Fvp-5000t to replace our Humax foxsat hdr which went down. Unfortunately the Fvp-5000t keeps losing series links. Also when we try to re-record the series it won't record unless we turn the box off at wall, which you obviously can't do if something is recording at the time.
Hi, I would just like to thank everybody for the replies, the issue is now resolved, I manually tuned the Humax as suggested and everything is now fine. Thank you.

Back