FVP-5000T losing the Guide - "No Programme Information"

gigaday

I have had this receiver a few years and recently it is losing the Programme Guide with the above message.

Sometimes the guide shows all the programmes correctly and sometimes there a many programmes missing and sometimes (maybe) all the programmes are missing. Sometimes they are all there and then I press left or right arrow whilst all the programmes are showing and they disappear before my eyes.

Sometime closing the guide or turning the box on and off brings back some of the programmes but not all. I have tried leaving the box on to see if the guide re-populates - but it doesn't.

Any ideas? Could it be my aerial? Perhaps it's a firmware fault. I don't want to Factory Reset and loose all my recordings.

Thanks. Tony

I don't want to Factory Reset and loose all my recordings.
Who says you will? HDD reformat is an optional operation in Restore Factory Defaults. That's about the only thing you can try in an effort to restore functionality.

I have had this receiver a few years and recently it is losing the Programme Guide with the above message.

Sometimes the guide shows all the programmes correctly and sometimes there a many programmes missing and sometimes (maybe) all the programmes are missing. Sometimes they are all there and then I press left or right arrow whilst all the programmes are showing and they disappear before my eyes.

Sometime closing the guide or turning the box on and off brings back some of the programmes but not all. I have tried leaving the box on to see if the guide re-populates - but it doesn't.
By the sound of it from another forum (where the first suggestion of being a memory issue was initially rejected) it is a memory issue due to too many events in the transmitted freeview epg. Unlike one of the previous models the solution is to just to delete unwanted channels, or it may be possible to avoid some of the unwanted ones by not tuning them in the first place.

There's recently been a withdrawal of a few Radio channels and so there is already probably some in the epg that you could delete.

By the sound of it from another forum (where the first suggestion of being a memory issue was initially rejected) it is a memory issue due to too many events in the transmitted freeview epg. Unlike one of the previous models the solution is to just to delete unwanted channels, or it may be possible to avoid some of the unwanted ones by not tuning them in the first place.

There's recently been a withdrawal of a few Radio channels and so there is already probably some in the epg that you could delete.
If that is the cause could he just make a favourite listing of all the channels he is likely to use and just leave the box set on that epg. I do that on my T2 and Aura, all channels apart from shopping, adult and some radio stations arranged in a logical order. Once favourites list is chosen it stays there even after powering off and you have to chose to see the full TV list epg again. I assume the 4000T/5000T can do the same.

This isn't a problem I see on my 5000T. But I always delete unwanted channels every time I retune - tedious (ie. all internet only, most shopping, +1 that only operate for a couple of hours, adult, and R1 style radio channels.).
Never tried using a limited favourites listing - but my guess is that might not stop a memory problem as the full list is still being requested even though it's not used. (?)

If that is the cause could he just make a favourite listing of all the channels he is likely to use and just leave the box set on that epg. I do that on my T2 and Aura, all channels apart from shopping, adult and some radio stations arranged in a logical order. Once favourites list is chosen it stays there even after powering off and you have to chose to see the full TV list epg again. I assume the 4000T/5000T can do the same.
No, that won;t work. Favourites selects a list of tuned channels to be displayed, the actual storage of all channels tuned is still attempted. The newer issue for when this symptom occurs appears to be with the quantity of events that the unit is attempting to store and not the access of the stored details.

Thanks for all your replies. I did a Factory Reset and retained all my recordings.

Immediately afterwards there were lots of "No Programme Information" but after 30 minutes all programmes seem to be listing in the Guide. I will know better in a day or so.

While I am waiting to see these results:
1. Is the Favourite Channel idea likely to help as I would expect all the channels to be downloaded to the Guide anyway?
2. When you say "delete unwanted channels" does this mean to Deselect them in Settings?

Thanks for your help.

Tony

Thanks for all your replies. I did a Factory Reset and retained all my recordings.

Immediately afterwards there were lots of "No Programme Information" but after 30 minutes all programmes seem to be listing in the Guide. I will know better in a day or so.
The epg events are broadcast on a carousel that takes no more than 4 minutes 30 seconds. The more events there are more bandwidth it takes over the aerial. If it takes longer than 4 minutes and 30 seconds then something, not necessarily the same thing, is wrong. If you are tuned to more than 1 transmitter then that can also cause similar symptoms.

2. When you say "delete unwanted channels" does this mean to Deselect them in Settings?
Delete them so that without a retune you can't watch them.

The epg events are broadcast on a carousel that takes no more than 4 minutes 30 seconds.
It depends which mux. you are tuned to. The PSBs are quicker than the COMs where it can be about 9 minutes (last time I measured it) and events for services on the current mux. come in quicker than those for the others (regardless of whether you're on a PSB or a COM). So, it's not quite as simple as you make out.

We deleted a lot of channels and this seems to have fixed the problem. Many thanks to all for your help. - Tony

Back