FVP-500T not recording series

brian5856

When a series has been scheduled, it usually records one of a series if it is still in the guide but not the rest of the series.
Any suggestions?

If you are going by what the schedule list shows, bear in mind that until one episode in a series has recorded, the next will not show there, even if it is in the guide.

Looking in the guide will show both/all as programmed and will record.

We scheduled several series when we went away for 3 weeks starting 10-nov.
These are some :
The Reunion - ITV
The Inheritance - Ch5
Portillo's Andalucia - Ch5

Assuming you have correctly selected "Record whole series" and not "Record this programme", this is puzzling.

If you look at your recordings list does the programme have the "s"symbol next to it and a number of programmes? I'll assume not from your question. When you select the programme, before you press "play this recording" how many dates are listed at the left side of the screen? Does the last one have the orange clock symbol with "s" for a future recording? Very occasionally I've had a series link work but not group them together.

If you bring up the schedule list are the problem programmes at the bottom of the list saying "Getting information fo..."?

Assuming you have correctly selected "Record whole series" and not "Record this programme", this is puzzling.

If you look at your recordings list does the programme have the "s"symbol next to it and a number of programmes? I'll assume not from your question. When you select the programme, before you press "play this recording" how many dates are listed at the left side of the screen? Does the last one have the orange clock symbol with "s" for a future recording? Very occasionally I've had a series link work but not group them together.

If you bring up the schedule list are the problem programmes at the bottom of the list saying "Getting information fo..."?
Isn't this likely to be another case of the epg not updating without setting a daily on/off for early each morning?
Admittedly brian5856 does not like giving details to help narrow down the cause but in post #3 they were away for 3 weeks.

I'm going by memory as I have reset to factory default to attempt to cure it.
When a recorded program is selected and before pressing play this recording, there was only one date listed. And for the program series that were still to broadcast there was no clock or "s" on the guide.
On the schedule there was no "Getting information fo...".

Isn't this likely to be another case of the epg not updating without setting a daily on/off for early each morning?
Admittedly brian5856 does not like giving details to help narrow down the cause but in post #3 they were away for 3 weeks.
Funny you should say that. It just occurred to me that this could be the case. Something suddenly made me think this sounded familiar.

Just to be clear to brian5856, the suggestion is that when you are away your Humax would only be on for the (first?) recording(s). It is unlikely the EPG will update properly, or at all. Therefore the next recording in the series will be unknown. A daily power on timer, early in the morning for 10-15 minutes on BBC1, should repopulate the EPG and will probably stop the problem.

Does the EPG not refresh when on standby?
I don't think so.

I use a Power Timer for 20 minutes around 0700 set to BBC1 HD and daily.

We scheduled several series when we went away for 3 weeks starting 10-nov.
These are some :
The Reunion - ITV
The Inheritance - Ch5
Portillo's Andalucia - Ch5
I have been recording the Portillo programmes as a series on my 5000T and they have worked correctly, so it would appear not to be anything to do with the transmitted information, but probably something you are doing (or not doing).

The difference is that my box has been out of standby for many hours each day.

Last edited:
I don't know about the FVP specifically, but it would be normal for the next episode in a series to get queued when the current one is recording. This only works if the next episode is within the EPG range at the time, that's why the EPG is 8-day rather than 7. If the unit has no wake-up in the 7 days preceding an anticipated recording, it has no opportunity to find the next episode in the EPG and schedule it.

The one thing that bothers me here is the lack of "Getting information fo..." items in the schedule. Surely, even if the Humax can't find the next episode in the EPG, if it is a series link it should remain in the schedule list. Mine don't delete even after a series has completed successfully.

Firstly I meant to title this chat as "FVP-5000T not recording series".
I can't remember if the programs were still in the schedule but I'm sure I haven't seen the message "Getting information fo..."
I have put the question to Humax direct support and asked if it needs to have a daily wake up call to record series. And if so why isn't it in the manual.

Humax replied that because it is smart it keeps the EPG up to date even on standby.
That may not be correct.
You can test it for yourself by switching off device/leave on standby for a while eg overnight.
Switch on, then as soon as it allows, bring up the EPG. If you see it gradually repopulating while you navigate to different channels and/or days, then it's likely it doesn't keep a copy while on standby.

Last edited:
On my 5000T I've never known a completed series link expire. (It may work for other people). Isn't there a specification for that as well?
Yes. Devices "shall discard any series CRIDs not seen in EIT for 13 weeks".

Back