FVP5000T - Record button not working but red indicator light registers key depression

Flutter

I am suddenly unable to instant record, by using the red button. The red light around the power button comes on but nothing happens.
It was fine earlier.
Am totally flummoxed and would value any advice.

TIA.

Do the other recording functions work? Does timeshift work?
I can rewind the program playing but still unable to do an instant record.
Have switched the expletive thing off, will leave it for half an hour, then switch it on and try again.

You answered one question but not the other.

When turning it off for a full reboot, you shouldn't need to leave it any particular length of time provided you turn it off properly, at the wall, and not just to standby (which will do no good at all).

You answered one question but not the other.

When turning it off for a full reboot, you shouldn't need to leave it any particular length of time provided you turn it off properly, at the wall, and not just to standby (which will do no good at all).
Unfortunately, I am disabled with mobility problems and live alone. A carer calls each morning, so will ask her if she can do that for me.
Apologies, regarding other recording options, it has suddenly stopped letting me set a recording.
It's so frustrating; I've been using Humax PVRs from the start, and treated myself to this so-called top of the range machine when I received a back-payment of disability benefit. Have never known such a troublesome machine!

Programmes previously set to record (ie. on the recording schedule) are still recording perfectly.

Have never known such a troublesome machine!
Well, frankly they're made down to a price and you get what you pay for. Basically it's a dedicated-to-purpose computer with all the foibles that any computer has. Hopefully a proper reboot will sort it for you.

I suggest fitting a remote controlled power socket behind it, so you have an easy means to reboot as and when you need to.

Have never heard of a remote controller power socket, didn't know that they existed, so thank you muchly for the info!
Please could you recommend the best source for me?

Have never heard of a remote controller power socket, didn't know that they existed
Very useful for people of limited mobility or for out-of-reach places in general.

There are several different kinds. The cheap-and-cheerful type use a dedicated remote control, and have been around for decades. Eg: Amazon; Argos; Power Strip (Argos); or just google "remote control socket uk".

Another type is so-called "intelligent" and connects to your home WiFi, then you operate it from an app on your phone/tablet manually or can download a timer programme to it... or even configure it to act on IFTTT commands from an Internet server. Again there are a variety of brands and clones, I personally have some Gosunds which seem to work well (and they even report power consumption): Amazon; or google "smart socket uk". Check out the 4-packs if you think they're going to be useful.

My remote works perfectly - it's the one that was supplied with my Hummy direct from Humax, when I bought it new.
Sorry, Sepsis Brain has set in! Please can you confirm that you meant something that goes between the power cable and back of the Humax that I can control using my Humax RM-L08?
I asked my carer to disconnect then reconnect the power this morning - the little bugger is behaving perfectly again! 🤣
I hate having had Sepsis - I was 3xtremely lucky to pull through (wasn't expected to) but it has wrecked my life in so many ways.
Thank you so much for your help and patience! Stay well. 😊👄

Please can you confirm that you meant something that goes between the power cable and back of the Humax that I can control using my Humax RM-L08?
In Black Hole's post #9 there are links in blue to examples. Click on each of those to see the examples Black Hole has provided for you.

Last edited:
I asked my carer to disconnect then reconnect the power this morning - the little bugger is behaving perfectly again! 🤣
There ya go! The universal solution ever since computers were invented. I bet you're wondering why one function can stop working when everything else was fine. Answer: it's because different functions are handled by different processes, and if one component process crashes it will stop the functions which depend on it working but leave the rest unaffected. It's a computer. Things like that happen.

Please can you confirm that you meant something that goes between the power cable and back of the Humax that I can control using my Humax RM-L08?
Absolutely not! If you had clicked the links in my post you would have seen what I'm talking about (and a picture is worth a thousand words, they say). To be more lucid, as an example here is the triple pack from the first Amazon link in my previous post:

1629040715331.jpeg
The blocks plug into the wall, the appliance plugs into the block, and then you can turn the appliance on and off using the illustrated remote control (NOT your Humax remote!). Turn a table lamp on/off at the touch of a button, or perhaps a fan heater. Or reboot your Humax.

The "smart" sockets look similar but they don't come with a remote - you control them from your phone or tablet via WiFi (like I said before), but setting them up is more involved. In compensation they are also much more capable, and you can even control them while away from home.

Please could you recommend the best source for me?
See the links I posted previously.

Last edited:
Very useful for people of limited mobility or for out-of-reach places in general.
Surprising how few people know about them. I've a Lidl set here dating from 2006 that's used on the four plugged-in lights in the living room. Found them so useful I bought a just-in-case second set that's not been needed and was used by a neighbour when they broke their ankle.

As the intended use is for controlling plugged-in lights, on more recent ones the sockets can be taught to respond to more than one button so you can have button 1 controlling lights 1, 2 & 3, button 2 controlling 1 & 4 etc. to give 'scenes'.

Back