GDPR and Conversations

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
The RPi forum is turning off their PM system because of fears it may contravene the requirements of GDPR and COPPA (Children's On-Line Privacy Protection Act, USA). The presumed risk is (I believe) that subscribers are not age-verified, and the PM system is not moderated and therefore a potential route for grooming, and the operators (RPi Foundation) don't want to be a test prosecution.

That is the only forum I am aware of taking this approach.

On that basis I imagine email and SMS systems will have to be turned off too, because some of the users are probably young and not verified.

I was reading an article yesterday about all these emails I've been getting asking me to 're-sign' for newsletters or whatever in order to 'comply with GDPR'. Apparently not necessary in most cases, and illegal in some!

Can (& will) you refer me to that article? We think we need urgent action on this in my club.

An elderly friend I help with her PC (Win10!) complained to me she couldn't get past a screen about Cortana, and I had to go around to look because she couldn't start TeamViewer (which I use for remote first aid).

It turned out the PC had gone through a long update, and then landed on this screen, which there was no way past except to log off via Task Manager, and logging on again just returned to the "screen". When I looked at it more carefully, it was asking for user preferences with regard to Cortana and then a variety of other things that "phone home" such as advert targeting.

I reckon this was a Microsoft response to the GDPR, getting positive opt-ins for data collection (although they never explicitly said so).

Last edited:
Yes, there's a major update to Windows 10 that is being rolled out at present. My laptop was 'stuck' about half way through downloading it today (I shut it down as I'd finished and it wasn't 'moving') but I don't think this one has done it yet (but not sure).

Last edited:
You would be with all the stupid interrogation that you have to go through to get it up and running again. Just watch all the privacy questions though.

That's what I did. But there is still a lot of stupid questions that you can't fail to miss.

You would be with all the stupid interrogation that you have to go through to get it up and running again. Just watch all the privacy questions though.
Just checked and this one was updated to 1803 a couple of weeks ago.
I don't recall it being interrogative at the time, but a week or so ago, at the prompting of an article elsewhere, I did go through all the privacy options and turned a few more off.
I'll see what the laptop does when it completes.

That's what I did. But there is still a lot of stupid questions that you can't fail to miss.
You don't always get the prompt; I speak as the voice of experience having recently updated about 10 computers to the 1803 Feature Update; 9 of them prompted and one of them didn't. I expect it may prompt at some point in the future or I will have to find where to change all the default answers to No.

Back